Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Lowering Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/lowering-tech-45/)
-   -   Lowering 4x4, confused... (https://blazerforum.com/forum/lowering-tech-45/lowering-4x4-confused-81561/)

kajida 09-11-2013 01:47 AM

Lowering 4x4, confused...

Ok, the dreaded lowering of a 4x4, but hey, I never off-road and live in Minnesota, where 4x4 is useful in the winter time.

Anyways, I'm looking at a 3/4 drop, springs, blocks. Nothing fancy. What i'm wondering though is the kit i'm looking at says 2WD only because of the blocks in the back, yet i've read that people have used blocks in the back of 4x4's... Am I missing something?

Thanks

Steve-o 09-11-2013 03:52 AM

2wd use springs and spindles upfront 4x4 does not. but blocks you can use on both.

kajida 09-11-2013 09:34 AM

Ok so blocks work in the back but springs don't work in the front??? You can't tell me the torsion bar is the only way to lower the front of a 4x4... I know I've seen people in here do it with springs.

Jamaroon 09-11-2013 10:08 AM

There are no springs in the front of an S-series blazer, so yes, T-bars are the only way to lower the front.. Unless you get into some elaborate custom front suspension setup that can still keep the 4wd.

kajida 09-11-2013 11:02 AM

Ah damn, now I feel dumb... I was just looking at the suspension last night and now that you say that, your right, there are no springs in front... /facepalm...

Thanks!

kajida 09-15-2013 06:43 PM

Ok, need some thoughts. I bought keys and blocks for my drop. I tried doing the keys this morning and spent 4 hours banging my head against the torsion bars and factory keys. I couldn't get anything to move to save my life. Dropped the blocks and pulled the bolts on the cross member, but i could just barely get a drift tap into the tiny hold on the back of the TB. Also, thank you gas tank, for being totally in the way.

So in a nutshell, with the blocks out and pressure relieved, how the heck does one go about breaking the TB's free so they can slide forward enough to get the keys off?

chris015 09-15-2013 07:10 PM

a big hammer,pb blaster,12 pack of good beer and lots of hard as hell wacks it sucks balls,but doable..

wack the bars at the lower control arms. as hard as u can. nothing to break but rust.

kajida 09-16-2013 07:35 PM

Making another attempt at the TB's this week. I have the use of my neighbors garage (he has every tool imaginable including a scissor lift) for a week. Gunna park his car in my garage. So either the bars will break free or the bars will break.... Resistance if futile... My truck is getting lowered wether she likes it or not...! lol

Thogert 09-16-2013 10:39 PM

That's the spirit!

sickman420 12-04-2013 04:30 PM

I got mine out by unloading them and then unbolting the crossmember, then, after a few heavy shots of pb blaster, I used a 4 foot long piece of rebar, and a bfh and pounded them out of the control ARM first, then I carried both bars still in the crossmember and used a bench vice and made a punch out of some scrap metal I had and pounded the keys off on a workbench. Be careful if you make your own punch and use rebar like I did. If the side your pounding on starts to mushroom, pieces of it can break off and hurt you. I took like 3 hefty hearty wacks, then checked my bar/punch.