Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Lowering Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/lowering-tech-45/)
-   -   spring or spindle drop for 2-3 inch (https://blazerforum.com/forum/lowering-tech-45/spring-spindle-drop-2-3-inch-54116/)

white99ls 01-16-2011 12:30 AM

spring or spindle drop for 2-3 inch

I want to lower my 99 4dr blazer enough to close the wheel to well ratio. My question is should i go ahead and do it the cheap way with springs or the proper way with spindles which is more pricey? I've heard of alignment problems as well as added stress to parts as I expected :icon_shrug: but considering I'm not intending on laying frame :icon_pala:or anything drastic.. is it better to save a few $$ and replace the springs or is blowing the extra cash worth the investment? There aren't any plans of getting rid of the truck anytime soon so i don't want to create something I'll have to fix later:icon_no:........any and all input appreciated

old skool luvr 01-16-2011 08:46 AM

who told you that doing the springs only will cause problems?

i've done more Dimes than i care to remember, and most of the times when a guy wanted to just "close the wheel to well ratio", a drop spring was done, just to save his pocket.

never had any issues when i had the truck aligned after. or even as time went by.

the one issue you need to remember when doing a drop spindle is, it's going to make the lower control arm ride closer to the wheel itself. not sure if you plan on running the stock wheels or go aftermarket, but you should be aware of potential rub issues when the wheels are turned to full lock.

XxIRISH63xX 01-16-2011 10:50 AM

Me personally I would(have on 88 s-10 pick-up) go with spindles only or spindles and springs combo but MINE is a MILD rake not a well fill .

old skool luvr 01-16-2011 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by XxIRISH63xX (Post 397974)
Me personally I would(have on 88 s-10 pick-up) go with spindles only or spindles and springs combo but it's a rake not a well fill .

if you don't do anything to the rear, of course it'll be a rake stance. but it all depends on what you're looking for in your finall stance. persoanlly, i've never been a fan of the jacked-ass look of back-in-the-day, i like all of my work to be layed-out.

another thing to consider when doing any kind of suspension work is the quality of the product.

i know from past experience, you get what you pay for. :icon_wink:

white99ls 01-23-2011 11:29 AM

Well i was told it effect the front suspension as it stressed the components....but this came from a guy who had his 2 door on the ground. I just want to lower my ls a few inches front and rear and add spacers so the wheels are flush with the side of the truck as opposed to inset. And i dont want wheel rub of course and i live in a somewhat rural area so 5 or 6 inch drops would be stupid as id hit everything with the undercarriage.

So if the consensus is a 2" drop would be perfectly fine and not cause any adverse longterm effects then...any suggestions on as to where/what brand to get a reliable set of drop springs? I know you get what you pay for and since this is mostly my wife's truck it needs to be done right the first time.

old skool luvr 01-23-2011 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by white99ls (Post 401042)
Well i was told it effect the front suspension as it stressed the components....but this came from a guy who had his 2 door on the ground. I just want to lower my ls a few inches front and rear and add spacers so the wheels are flush with the side of the truck as opposed to inset. And i dont want wheel rub of course and i live in a somewhat rural area so 5 or 6 inch drops would be stupid as id hit everything with the undercarriage.

So if the consensus is a 2" drop would be perfectly fine and not cause any adverse longterm effects then...any suggestions on as to where/what brand to get a reliable set of drop springs? I know you get what you pay for and since this is mostly my wife's truck it needs to be done right the first time.

:icon_doh: i don't know who this guy is, but you really need to STOP listening to him!

my brother's Summer Dime has a 3" spindle & 2" coil out front, and 3" blocks & de-arched leafs out back for the last 11 years, and we've never done any suspension work to it.

we just bagged it last Winter, and replaced the bj's ONLY because we built tubular control arms for it. they were still tight as a u-know-what! :icon_wink:

FYI, in that 11 years that it was static dropped, he put 80K on it. i was thinking it might have been 100, but i don't thinkit was that much.

trust me, it got driven, and on long road trips as well. all the way down to Lexington, KY a couple of times.

as for which manufactureer to use..........well, know on the S-series you don't need to go all out & use Bell Tech spindles. he has Ground Force spindles, and i think the coils were Ground Force as well (he bought them @ a swap meet. were used 1 Summer the guy said)

http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/a...sstretch01.jpg