New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Got me a 98 4x4 4dr.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 11:46 AM
cablelover is on a distinguished road
Default Got me a 98 4x4 4dr. With Pics

I gotta good deal on 98 Blazer. It does have almost 195k but my lumina has 242k. Being prepared to end up replacing a LIM gasket before I really want to. It drives really good, but It was extremely low on gas and then fell flat on its face. I took it put $20 in gas immediately. Any thing past 1/4 throttle and bogs and sometimes backfires through the intake. I let off and it resumes normal idle. I took the other car to get a fuel filter, installed and its a little better. now i can get closer to half throttle before it bogs out.
Soooo. since tomorrow is gonna be alot warmer than today, Ill start by rentin a fuel pressure gage and go from there.
I actually browsed this forum prior to buying and with the vast wealth of information here, Im super confident I can get this baby back to good health.
Thanks to all for all the info, and Wheel Responsibly.
Also any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by cablelover; 02-25-2012 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Pics or didnt happen!!!
Old 02-25-2012, 12:12 PM
Park is on a distinguished road

Welcome from Minnesota. I also have a 98 4dr 4x4 with high miles. But I'll say once you start getting through the tune up and getting it running great they are a blast. If you have emissions tests to deal with check out the cat. Just last night I found out my cat was toasted. Replacing the cat makes one hell of a difference. Good luck with your 98.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:53 PM
Kknd310 is on a distinguished road

Welcome, i too have a 98 4dr 4X4 great car.

first i would do a complete tune up, check the fuel PSI, and change all the fluids.

post back with the fuel reading yea?

Old 02-25-2012, 05:12 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

And one more with a 98 Blazer, thank you

Old 02-25-2012, 05:29 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Welcome from Utah.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:52 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

Welcome from michigan....yeah with proper tlc your ride should treat you good for along time to come

Old 02-25-2012, 06:29 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Welcome from NY

and i agree with warthog

Old 02-26-2012, 01:02 AM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

Welcome from another New Yorker.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:49 AM

Yesterday I checked fuel pressure (52-60psi) I did lose about 5 psi after being shutoff for 15mins. I took the rental tool back and bought dist. cap and rotor at 9pm changed it and it's still sputtering when I mash the gas. I'm gonna change spark plugs today and test the coil and icm. I seem to have a good amount of exhaust so I don't think my CC is clogged. It feel like the timing isnt advancing under heavy throttle.
I'm far from out options, just figuring out what to check next.
And thanks for the warm welcome.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:45 PM
Default All hail seafoam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I changed plugs today and no help. I may have forgot to mention I dropped a half can of seafoam in the tank since I ran it outta gas. After about 5 mins of idling and revving to about 3k it smoothed itself out. I can hit the throttle as hard as I possibly can and no sputter at all!
so, ALL HAIL SEAFOAM!!!
Now I can concentrate on preventative maintenance. Ive been on a few forums for specific vehicles, and been successful at finding all the info I need. This forum is soooooo organized, I dont even have to use the search function!! I will be donating to this site soon!

Quick Reply: Got me a 98 4x4 4dr.