New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Hoy hoy

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 12:46 PM
Starting Member
if6was9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hoy hoy

G'day all,

I'm seriously considering selling my trusty '88 K 1500 short bed and buying a newer Blazer. I thought it best to do some research on the Blazer before I plunk down the money on one.

I'm no stranger to the Blazer. I use to own a '76 K5 2WD 4spd top loader (granny low). It was a wonderful truck, and I regret selling it. The rust issue was why I traded it for my '88 K 1500. Things have come full circle, and now my truck is rusting away. It also has some mechanical problems the plague vehicles going on 200,000 miles. And I know I'll regret selling it. But the time has come to move on.

Less than a week away, I have the chance to purchase an '02 Blazer 2WD 5spd with 62,000 miles. It's the LS package and nicely optioned. Very clean and a one owner. And it's a color I can agree with, black.

In talking with a co-worker about these Blazers which he is the owner of one, I found out he's selling his. His is a metallic red '01 Blazer Extreme with a automatic trans, nicely optioned I imagine. It has 65,000 miles and he's done some after market upgrades to it. He's removed some of them and reinstalling the factory equipment. He's done something to it and now it won't run. I suspect when he remover the MSD ignition box he's unplugged something that shouldn't be. Or it's got another problem that has surfaced.

My biggest concern is the drive train, color is the last. I like to stir gears so the manual trans is my first choice, but I don't mind having an auto trans. I'm wondering what common problems owners have had with their drive trains. Also, are there any other problems that these trucks have that I should keep in mind when looking at them.

As I've found with my two '69 Firebirds, having a web group dedicated to the vehicle is a must to resolve problems. And you meet some great folk as well. Any light the group can shed on my purchase of one of these Blazers will help greatly.

For now
Tom

Old 01-29-2008, 12:56 PM
quinnman105 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Hoy hoy

Welcome to the forum!

Old 01-29-2008, 01:09 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

[sm=welcomesign.gif]to the Forum. If you have had K series trucks, I don't believe you'll find much in common with an '02 Blazer, unless you happened to have a 4.3L engine in the former trucks. As to common issues with the 2nd generation S-series trucks, here is a threadto read (it's a long one) that might give you a heads-up.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:30 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to ya! If all the Hippie's, cut off all their hair, I don't care! If all the mountains, fell in the sea...

Sorry, had to do it. If I had to do it all over again I'd get a 5spd for sure. Also as far as drivetrains these are pretty strong. Some members have had issues with motor mounts/transmission mounts. Replace them with some polyurethane and you're all set.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:46 PM
Jharper is infamous around these partsJharper is infamous around these parts

welcome to the forum.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:32 PM
Starting Member

Thanks all,

In reading the linked thread, sound like this gen Blazer carries a host of typical GM problems. I can turn a wrench to most if they crop up. The Vortec 6 has it's quirks but is a good mill. The thing that concerns me the most is the transmissions. Primarily because I don't have much experience with them. And I'm a little skiddish about the automatics in newer cars and trucks. I use to own a '95 Formula with an auto trans that self destructed. And it cost big bucks to get it fixed, and after I got it fixed it wasn't right. Rather than spend more money on it... In it's place I bought my semi-daily driver '69 OHC-6 Firebird. I took a big hit on that rebuild and selling that Formula. I guess I should post a question in tech about the pros'n'cons of auto vs manual trans. Thanks for the salutations, and in a short time I should be an owner of one of the Blazers. And then the questions will come.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:34 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

Welcome to the forum. I've owned many Blazers and still have a few. I've chosen to remove the rust and do restorations on a couple of the older ones.
I had an '05 "S" series for a while and wasn't to pleased with the visibility, but overall it was a good truck.
I picked up a '99 Sonoma ( with a 4X4 std 5 spd) for my girl and it's been a pretty good truck so far.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2910/0241EE922A344ED9A6BA6A058946F9E8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/2910/85BD54C34ED3447484B9C173058440D1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-30-2008, 03:44 AM
Starting Member

I talked with my co-worker and he found the problem with his not starting. I'm still hesitant about the auto trans in these newer Blazers. It’s mostly due to a bad experience with a ’95 Formula Firebird. The auto trans in it self destructed. It cost quite a few body parts besides my arm and leg to rebuild, and it wasn’t right after that. I had to sell the car; it turned into a money pit. I’ve talked to a couple of these newer S 10 and Blazer owners that have auto transmissions, and both have said “no problems with mine”. So I’m a little relieved, but not 100%. I can’t afford any more body parts.

Say Chevy Lover, I like your sig line alot better than the quoit from Karl Marx; "Catch a man a fish, and you can sell it to him. Teach a man to fish, and you ruin a wonderful business opportunity."

Old 01-30-2008, 07:17 AM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

Welcome!

Old 01-31-2008, 01:47 AM
BF Veteran
user 1016 has a spectacular aura aboutuser 1016 has a spectacular aura about

Welcome! If you do a search you will find a host of "quirks" and unique issues with blazers... I have an 2000 Blazer LS 4 door 4wd...I had to replace the trannie at about 90,000ish miles...It was an inconvenience...but not a big deal..got a used one and swapped it out...Good luck!