Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://blazerforum.com/forum/new-member-area-4/)
-   -   My 1st Blazer (https://blazerforum.com/forum/new-member-area-4/my-1st-blazer-98990/)

OzarkHillbilly 03-01-2019 11:58 PM

My 1st Blazer

Just bought an `05 4dr 4x4 Blazer. I've worked on a lot of Blazers back in the 70s-80s but never owned one. Never been off road in one or with one either, but after looking into them I didn't find anyone saying they're junk, and a lot of people seem to like and love theirs, so I went ahead about bought this one.

I only paid $1100 for it so it's got some issues I'll have to work on. It's only got 117k miles on it and it runs great but it needs the Shift Solenoids replaced (1-2 is dead) and some serious cleaning up inside and a few other repairs but I'm excited to have it.

I sold a sweet little Suzuki Samurai I owned for about 12 years some 4-5 years ago and bought a Chevy Tracker 4x4. I loved that Tracker, but so did my wife and she confiscated it before I even got the tires muddy and drove it to it's death over the next four years so I haven't been off-roading hardly at all since. We have some great trails here in the Ozarks leading to some truly beautiful places and I'm really looking forward to getting back out there.

I'm excited to learn from all that have shared their knowledge and experience here, and hopefully sharing what I've learned. I used to be a "car builder" back in the 70s-80s. I started working with my father at "Barris Kustom" in North Hollywood in 1973 and built my last custom car around 1995. I did a little work on my Samurai when I had it but nothing major.

And I won't be doing much to this Blazer either. I will be driving it on some trails here though. I couldn't fit a lot of gear in that little Sami so it's going to be fun being able to pack the Blazer and do some luxury camping. I'll post a few photos of it in the next few days. The upper door hinge on the driver side is really worn out and I'll be fixing that soon. If I don't find any "How To" posts here on how to do that I'll take some photos and video showing the process. If I do find advice and info on that here I'll follow it and let you know how it goes.

cleburne red 03-02-2019 07:47 AM

Welcome to the forum! That drivers door hinge is always a problem. Mine is past the point of a new hinge pin bushing, I'm gonna have to cut off the old hinge and weld on a new one at some point

go chevy 03-02-2019 09:10 AM

Welcome aboard!

OzarkHillbilly 03-02-2019 06:57 PM

Thank you!

I took a closer look at those door hinges today. They're a mess. Spring is missing on the driver door and the bushings are gone and the holes are egg shaped on the door jamb side hinge.

I read some posts here and them watched a few youtube videos but didn't learn anything I didn't know. The other 3 doors need the bushings replaced too so I'll just do the Dorman repair kit on those.

The Driver side door has big dent in it and I can get one for about $65 at a "Pick-n-Pull" boneyard not too far from where I live. I probably do that if the boneyard door is in good shape and the same color. I might try putting a solid brass bolt or rod in that inner hinge hole and mig welding the gap in it. Then replace the bushings in it. That would be the cheapest, easiest way to fix it I can think of. I really don't want remove and replace that inner hinge unless I absolutely have to.

And I drove it on the rocky hillside behind our house today. Nothing too tough but tough enough to get a feel for how it grips in 4-low. It doesn't crawl like my old Sami but it got me where I pointed it. I'm looking forward to getting it on the road and to some trails.

error_401 03-04-2019 05:41 AM

Welcome to the Blazer Forum.

Trukntigger 03-04-2019 03:07 PM

Welcome to the forum. You got yours cheaper than I did, 2500$ for a 98. That said worth the coin, very good shape body wise. No rust, dents or damage anywhere and runs good. Had to replace that drivers door hinge pin when I got it among things on the todo list. Enjoy the Blazer, fun to drive these trucks tho that engine compartment rather cramped to work in.

Lefet 03-07-2019 01:50 PM

Welcome to the forum.

ta6point6litre 03-07-2019 07:39 PM

Only paid $1000 for my 2000 Olds Bravada with 125k on it and that was 10 years ago. Got a great deal. Still driving it today.

go chevy 03-08-2019 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by ta6point6litre (Post 704613)
Only paid $1000 for my 2000 Olds Bravada with 125k on it and that was 10 years ago. Got a great deal. Still driving it today.

How do you like the AWD on your Bravada? I have never owned an AWD vehicle before and was always curious about them...

OzarkHillbilly 03-11-2019 09:53 PM

Thank you all for the great welcome and tips.

I got the two shift solenoids on ebay along with a gasket and filter for right around $30. I removed the pan and found one of the bolts had be broken off about 1/4" inside the trans case. The wire clip on 1-2 solenoid had fallen off and the solenoid itself was broken. The pan had a ton of silicone sealant spread on it, but not even close to evenly, Some spots had none at all and others were thick with it.

Anyway, I suspect someone got in there and made a mess of things. So I let it set all night after pulling the pan and went out there this afternoon and installed all the new parts. I thought I might get that broken bolt to grab the few threads left so I ground a bit off it so it would have room to tighten up before hitting the piece still inside but the threads below it were stripped so I left it and crossed my finger it would seal.

I refilled it and started it and let it warm up and topped it off and drove it a few miles to public land with some dirt roads and put it 4low putted for about mile to the lakeshore and shut it off while I relaxed for a bit. Before I left I checked the gasket but didn't see any leaks so all's good so far!

I'm going tackle those door hinges next. Then it's off to the boneyards to scrounge for parts :D