2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

A/C Bypass Serpentine Belt

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A/C Bypass Serpentine Belt

Hey, all.

My AC hasn't worked in forever, and I have decided to never fix it, because it's just not worth it. However, I was thinking it may be worthwhile to get the AC-less serpentine belt, for fuel economy.

I ran a search, but only found one thread that touched on this. The other person said he also bought a pulley. Am I correct in thinking that I also need to get a different pulley for the AC-less serpentine? Thanks for your help.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:59 PM
jdespain is on a distinguished road

In my past experiences, (though none being on a Blazer) all I did was measured the diameter of the a/c pump pulley and subtracted that amount from the length of the stock belt. Then I relied on the patience of my good friend who works at the local parts store to pull a few belts in that range of length, cause this length is just a starting point (+/-) an inch or so. When you do find the correct belt, tear that belt # off the package and keep it in the glove box for future reference. (And to let the rest of us know!) Hope this is somewhat helpful!

Old 03-05-2010, 06:44 PM
96Blazernut is an unknown quantity at this point

I have one for sale, I sent you a pm

Old 03-05-2010, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by jdespain
In my past experiences, (though none being on a Blazer) all I did was measured the diameter of the a/c pump pulley and subtracted that amount from the length of the stock belt. Then I relied on the patience of my good friend who works at the local parts store to pull a few belts in that range of length, cause this length is just a starting point (+/-) an inch or so. When you do find the correct belt, tear that belt # off the package and keep it in the glove box for future reference. (And to let the rest of us know!) Hope this is somewhat helpful!
Well, actually, RockAuto sells the AC belt and the non-AC belt, as do many vendors, so you may have been putting yourself through extra hassle. LOL

@96Blazernut: I replied. Thanks for helping out.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:13 PM

If you decide you want it let me know. It's just taking up room in the storage building.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:24 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

i had to do the ordering and guessing size when i bypassed my smog pump. i dont ever remember having a problem buying a a/c delete belt

Old 03-06-2010, 08:47 PM
jdespain is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Psychropod
Well, actually, RockAuto sells the AC belt and the non-AC belt, as do many vendors, so you may have been putting yourself through extra hassle. LOL

@96Blazernut: I replied. Thanks for helping out.
I must have had a "brain-fart", I was thinking about by-passing my smog pump and was trying to base information on that experience. I reckon I should pay more attention from now on. Sorry.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:10 PM

I had one of the guys here ask me to post a couple pics of the A/C Bypass that I have. So I went to the storage building to go get it. This item bolts in the place of your A/C compressor. This will work on 96 and up 4.3's as the 95's have the compressor on the opposite side of the engine. This allows you to keep your current belt. I had bought this last year as my A/C compressor had some bad bearings and was locked up. I used it for a couple of months till I got a replacement compressor. This item is for sale too. $35 shipped This would be great on a mud buggy or any 4.3 that you dont care if the A/C works

Here are some pics.

Last edited by 96Blazernut; 03-07-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:55 AM

If I can just get a little free cash, I might buy that from you.

I have a question, since you did try it out. Did you get any noticeable performance and/or fuel economy gains during the time you used it?

Old 08-08-2013, 03:44 PM
Starting Member
seventeen is on a distinguished road

Happy* to be here "Blazer Forum.com" now i know about the Air Conditioning Bypass Pulley! is it possible tho to replace the ac serpentine belt with the no ac serpentine belt ? This way my blazer would be fixed and i wouldn,t have to buy Air Conditioning Bypass Pulley that now costs $45 any comments or help is welcome thanks"

Quick Reply: A/C Bypass Serpentine Belt