Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos (https://blazerforum.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-11/)
-   -   Bad news... Good news (Turbo Build) (https://blazerforum.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-11/bad-news-good-news-turbo-build-19151/)

Zygoat 03-31-2008 01:26 PM

Bad news... Good news (Turbo Build)

hay guys, i have been a memeber on here for a while but havent posted on here in ages. i had this thread going on another forum, but the admin staff there were pretty ignorant, so now i am going to pick it up here.

i will try to copy it over so that you guys dont have to link back everytime you want to check something from one of the early posts. if that doesnt work i guess i will have to link to it.
heres a link to the original: http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f11/ba...-build-313878/

let me know what you think.
[hr] ok. hopefully this will clear up a few things. like why i have been asking so many questions and why some of them may have been a bit wired.

i got in an accident. 3 car pile up on the highway on the way to my parents house about a month ago. i got rear ended and pushed into the car in front.
and i have been fighting with the insurance company for the past month to get a reasonable settlement out of it. well after all the back and forth they eventually totaled my blazer. thats the bad news.

The good news is that i should be able to fix all of the damage. (all body work except for the front core support). i trust me i have been all over it looking for anything else. and i should be able to fix it with enough money left over to turbo my truck. VERY good news.

so here is a list of the stuff i got lined up so far. i have been planning this for ... well a long time. i keep pretty meticulous (read: anal) records. so i got the costs pretty well figured out. if you have any suggestions or see something i missed please let me know. (DONT SAY STUPID SH*T LIKE GET A V8). that said i would love your input. heres the list.

2114 fuel rails tb adapter fuel injectors 42lb/hr

turbonetics turbo masterpower turbo Jet DST intercooler AEM UEGO wideband o2 AEM TRU boost controller fuel pump (granatelli) cartech fmu Turbonetics wastegate blow off t3 inlet flange air filter
Oil complete kit
[hr]also i am trying to figure out how i want to do the exhaust. i might copy meyers and just use the stock manifolds and weld some pipes on. or i might get some syty manifolds if i can find/afford them. i am also trying to see about a syty intake manifold. hopefully i can get one of those because the 2114 all said and done is over $1000 and i dont have that kind of money in the budget.
[hr] Quote: Originally Posted by 98 SS Do an 01 ecm swap, get hptuners instead, you dont need an fmu if your gonna use a 2114 and a nice intake pump like a walbro

97 is just a rough year for tuning, the 01 swap isnt all that difficult....on paper at least between a 98 and 01.......but i dont know the differences between 97 and 98

yea well i already have pcm scann so i am halfway into my tuning so ill prolly just stick with what i have, i really don't want to **** with all the wires too.

i got the fuel pump spec'd out. and i know i dont need the fmu with the 2114 i just copy . pasted that from the spread sheet i have, and i have them both so i can calculate the cost a bunch of different ways.

does anybody know where i can get the syty intake manifold? i think that might be a better solution to the intake (ie less $$$).

what about the map sensor is the stocker good to 10 psi. i believe it craps out a 14 am i right?
[hr]well got the ball rolling today. i ordered some of the exhaust components. i got the flowmaster 50 series suv. and a tubing kit and some turn downs. the tale pipe got a jacked up in the wreck + you got to have a good muffler and cat back if your gonna turbo ... right? its gonna be a dual out. i know it will be tight but i think i can make it work. i will hopefully do it this weekend, provided that the parts get here by

swartlkk 03-31-2008 01:27 PM

RE: Bad news... Good news (Turbo Build)

Maybe a synopsis of where you are and what has transpired instead of the dissertation...

Zygoat 03-31-2008 02:09 PM

well i want this to be my thread now, and there is alot of info spread out over the thread that would be lost in a synopsis. i want other people to be able to learn from me so that if they decided to take on a similar project they will be ahead of the game.

i dont know about everyone else but i also enjoy reading other peoples threads and fallowing their progress from start to finish. maybe im the only one?

swartlkk 03-31-2008 02:11 PM

Ok, thought you were doing this to get some help of some sort. Sorry, but I didn't take the time to read through the whole thing above! LOL

Zygoat 03-31-2008 02:16 PM

no i got it pretty well figured out(although more help and knowladge is always good). just want to bring everyone up to speed and share my expenecies and what i have learned along the way.

ORIGINAL: swartlkk
Sorry, but I didn't take the time to read through the whole thing above! LOL
i dont blame you its alot!

Zygoat 03-31-2008 05:14 PM

i am running pcm scan. very happy with the software, and the forums and support are great, the guy that actually wrote it is the person i see post the most on there. so support is fantastic. i have the elm 327 interface. its slow to me but i think it is the fastest they offer (as a package) but it works with others including auto tap i believe.

check them out. http://www.palmerperformance.com/
[hr]Whats up guys!?

been a while eh? im from Canada eh? (not really)

anyway i finally did some more work on the blazer this weekend!

i got the cat back system virtually finished. and i am stoked. it looks good and sounds better! pics to come. (i didn't have my camera with me) bu ill take some tomarrow and post them up in my exhaust thread and you guys can take a look. i already have some pics and dyno charts (everybody loves those)

also i got the rear bumper fitted and the new end cap as well (to replace the damage from the accident) they well have to come back off for paint. actually i am gonna do a custom color blend hurculiner. to protect it from road debris and rust. i talked to a few different paint stores and all but one said it would not work and that "i would make cottage cheese". so i called herculiners tech line and they said the same thing. the last guy i talked to , who is the guy i go to for paint stuff now, knew his ****. and he told me that a 10:1 ratio of color should work fine. so i did a test this weekend and it appears fine. ill let it hang out until next weekend and see if it spontaneously combusts or something. i think its fine tho.

anywho thats the progress i made, as i said pics tomarrow. then you can tell me what you think.
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f89/fl...t-back-314763/
[hr]i do have a ? about the map sensor tho. i am planning to run 10 psi. do i need a new map. i was not planning on one. i am currently planning on using an fmu. is it any different if i run a 2114?

can you rescale the tables in computer? it seems like that is what one would have to do with a new map. and then re tune of course.

any info is helpful. and i know that was more than one ?.

quote rat"If you are running a 2114 it may be worth it to run a 2bar. You would have to halve basicaly everything to do with the map sensor. You lose a bit of resolution as well. If you are an auto you need a vacuum modulator, or you will burn up the trans.

Or, you can use the maf. You may need a larger one though depending on boost levels(off annother vehicle, ls1 for example). The maf controls fueling almost exclusively at wot i think, so the map would only hold you back on timing adjustments.

westers garage makes a version of the palmerperformance software that works with the jet hardware, seems like it would be much faster than the generic hardware, and will utilize the 3 adc inputs on the side of the box."
[hr]yea you noticed that did you. ive sort of been stalling for the turbo portion of the build up. as i stated i wanted to fix all the **** that got ****ed up in the crash. but past that i have kind of been stalling. my birthday is in .... 6 days (after the mental math) so i am kinda hoping that i might receive some funds that might make a difference in how/ what i do. im turning 21 so its kind of a big deal and i am hoping to get something that might make a difference in which parts i can buy.

also as far as the first portion goes. my dad has been kind of/ really driving me crazy lately. thats an issue because i live in an apartment at school = no garage. and i have to drive 80 miles home to use theres. most of my tools are there also. last weekend i drove the 80 miles down there to work on it and all i ended up accomplishing is painting the exhaust hangers black ( 2 coats) to protect them/ make them blend in to the frame.

UR50SLO 04-01-2008 02:27 PM

What size injector do you have in there now?

I'm not familiar with the ECM tuning software your using... but it should be setup similar to HPTuners... Maby the software your using has a demo/shareware?

The manifold should work fine for you.

How are you planning on seting up the turbo? Headers?

HPTuners does not realy look at the MAP for fueling. Stock MAP for the 98 is ok.
At least for ours.

Keep in mind you'll need a step colder in plugs with .28-.30 gap. I'd stick with some regular plugs till your all tuned in. No sense in putting IR's in it till that part is done.
These engines blow the spark out like crazy with anything more than .30 gap.
Shoot for mid 11's AFR under WOT with little KR (knock retard)
Iv'e got several timing maps you might try to start with.
Nothing like a good boost launch in 4wd... It's awsome :)
~Scott

Zygoat 04-01-2008 05:15 PM

i have 42# injectors @ 43.5 psi (which is what i will be running)

they do have a demo on jets website www.jetchip.com look for dst or dynamic spectrum tuner.

turbo will be a front mount and as of now i am planning on using the stock manifolds just flipped. so passenger manifold will be on drivers side. and vise versa. i have seen it done and it does work. all of the rest i will custom build.

the pcm uses the map no matter what, but at wot it uses "generaly" only the maf to detect air flow, which is why it is not as important. i got new plugs and they are a range colder than stock.

i would be interested in looking at your timing maps.

also for reference i have copied about 2 of 5 pages of the build over here so far, so i am much farther along then it apperars here. the reast is all on that link at the top.

UR50SLO 04-01-2008 05:41 PM

I'm at home with wife's laptop... I'll try and post the stock timing map and the latest file of mine on here tomorrow.
Your truck being a 2dr is lighter than our 4dr... you should be able to put a little more timing in it if I had to guess.
Depends on how the rest of it get's finished.
The stock Typhoon turbo is very small and spools almost instant.
Alot of variables but it might give you a safe place to start from.
~Tomorrow, Scott

tx_marez_tx 04-07-2008 08:11 PM

goat, just outa curiosity where did u get ur 2114? i'v heard about it as far as turbo options (plan on boosting my 94 2dr blazer) and on top of the good notes i'v heard, its a slick looking set up. my opinion tho is to go for a remote mount turbo. Squires for example. tho Vortec made his own remote mount turbo on his 4x4 blaze, its many times more efficient than an under hood mount system. and if u only have 2wd like mine theres so much more room to work with. just my input and opinion tho, still curious about that 2114 lol