Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos (https://blazerforum.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-11/)
-   -   Homemade Supercharger (https://blazerforum.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-11/homemade-supercharger-28987/)

94 S10 Blazer 03-23-2009 01:30 PM

Homemade Supercharger

Ok so i was thinking the other day of some ideas for my truck and thought it might be possible to make a supercharger out of an electric leaf blower. This may be pure stupidity or genious im not sure you guys have any ideas on how this could work on not work.

mdehoogh 03-23-2009 02:03 PM

It would not work. A supercharger is belt driven. Mechanical energy > mechanical energy. Running a leaf blower would require converting the 12VDC from the battery (which was converted from mech. energy via alternator) to 115VAC in order for the leaf blower to even turn on. The motor in the leaf blower will convert the 115VAC back to mechanical energy for the fan in it.

Even though the alternator would normally be charging the battery, adding anything electrical will put more strain on the batt.

Engine > alt > batt > dc/ac converter > motor in leafblower

The energy lost in the conversion(s) would outweigh any benefit you might see (which wouldn't be much) from the added air being pushed through

TheBrettster 03-23-2009 02:09 PM

u cant be serious

swartlkk 03-23-2009 02:20 PM

Hope you can carry enough cord with you to power it. You will not power it off of the vehicle and hope to make any gains.

94 S10 Blazer 03-23-2009 03:36 PM

ok good that saves me alot of time working on something that would never work thanks guys

jayve bass 03-24-2009 12:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You can go electrical. It's just as expensive as a roots style blower that's powered by you're engine. And, you can only run it for about 15 seconds at a time before it get too hot and drains the batteries. Good for quarter mile runs only. I think it's made by Thomas Knight.

Cavalier z24 03-24-2009 01:24 PM

lol that had me laughing for a good 5 minutes i had to call a few buddy's and tell them about it :)

swartlkk 03-24-2009 06:04 PM

What was attached above would actually work as it is a roots type supercharger powered by electric motors instead of by the crankshaft. It would have to be gear driven as a real roots type blower turns at close to 3 times crankshaft speed (talking about a stock M90 on the 3800S2). As stated, it could only be ran for short periods of time as it would definitely draw A LOT of juice and create a ton of heat. An issue that I have with this is that it runs at a constant speed.

bandidolenny 03-24-2009 06:25 PM

LOL, April 1st is still a few days away. Hey wait a minute... You were serious?

boomtruck97 03-24-2009 06:39 PM

ok but this is sad, i had a friend that got bored and did this once to a honda. he cut the plastic shaft and duct taped it onto the throttle body then plugged into a 120 convertor. we hooked up a boost gauge after he said his butt dyno noticed an improvement. it showed a gain from the 14 psi vacuum to about 3 psi boost. but as they said earlier the downfalls are far above the real gains. alternator and battery drains, okward placement and size, and who knows how bad it could all go if left installed for any period of time.