Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos (https://blazerforum.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-11/)
-   -   im a turbo noob..help please. (https://blazerforum.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-11/im-turbo-noob-help-please-30727/)

02Blazer-X 05-19-2009 06:30 PM

im a turbo noob..help please.

hey all, i run a 2002 blazer xtreme w/ the 4.3 EFI vortec. im interested in adding some boost but im not gonna lie, i dont have an in depth knowledge of this engine or how to mount a turbo.

im interested in a rear mount style like the sts turbo kit. would buying their universal kit work well? also, i know il need BOV's, but in terms of the fuel system/intake, what will i need? ive heard the marine intake is the way to go, but unless somebody can give me a good step by step on installing that, idk if i wanna do that.

if somebody can provide a list of things i need to buy/install to have a decent setup, id be very grateful as i have been getting many contradicting statements and ideas by reading what i have searched.

-Kevin.

TheBrettster 05-19-2009 06:47 PM

Ugh, if your going to do it just buy a v8, i went down this route and it was a huge waste of money. Theres a only one person i know of who was successful and he now has a blown engine.

02Blazer-X 05-19-2009 07:12 PM

a v8 swap is not gonna happen on this car. im not looking to dominate the drag circuit lol just lookin to make a bit more power. this is my only form of transportation so a full engine swap would leave me wheel-less for a while.
i know somebody here has done a remote mount on their v6 which has turned out well, i was aiming for something similar to his, but using the sts kit instead of a custom fab

TheBrettster 05-19-2009 07:35 PM

yes that is 02vortech and his engine is blown.

If you do a remount setup, theres alot of fabrications, room for oil lines to leak, and forget about driving in the rain or dirty roads.

mikeinwi 05-19-2009 08:14 PM

if you dont have an in-depth knowledge of the 4.3 and installing/setting up a turbo is this something you really wanna tackle youself? you also said your only looking for a bit more power and adding a turbo will get you close to v8 type numbers, itll make alot more sense in the long run to do a v8 swap if you wanna a good amount of power. if you really are just looking for a "bit" more hp throw on a CAI, exhaust, and get a custom tune then call it a day.

TheBrettster 05-19-2009 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by mikeinwi (Post 218384)
if you dont have an in-depth knowledge of the 4.3 and installing/setting up a turbo is this something you really wanna tackle youself? you also said your only looking for a bit more power and adding a turbo will get you close to v8 type numbers, itll make alot more sense in the long run to do a v8 swap if you wanna a good amount of power. if you really are just looking for a "bit" more hp throw on a CAI, exhaust, and get a custom tune then call it a day.

He speaks the truth and in theory a v8 swap would be less work.

You could always look for a powerdyne or a vortec superchager.

boomtruck97 05-19-2009 11:52 PM

you should NEVER add a turbo to a car that didnt start that way and use it as a daily. it will be unrelaiable and very expensive. you would be looking at a full head rebuild with new cams, lifter/rockers, valves, the engine will need new gaskets, upgraded exhaust system, all the oil lines and fabrication, if you add a intercooler than all that too, not to even mention the fuel system add ons and mods - then you will need a custom tune at a shop when your done so it wont totally blow up 10 feet down the road. 9 times out of 10 - your looking at a minimal $5,000 just for a basic setup.

just look for an article called 3/4 350 - it tells how to get 300 wheel horse from a 4.3L all motor and even tells what part number, price, and were to get it. here is the link!
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...o_results.html

and for the record, turbo's and Superchargers are an extreme mod and you will def want to know the ins and outs of both forced induction as well as the motor your attaching it to before you go for that type of project. but i hope this helps.

okvortec 05-20-2009 12:00 AM

How many miles does your truck have? It may have too many on it to handle any type of major work such as a turbo, supercharger, etc. Just go with a swap if you really want some power.

TheBrettster 05-20-2009 12:04 AM

well first off if you rebuilt a 4.3 i DOUBT it would cost anything over 1,500 bucks. Second my turbo kit which i was piecing together costed me around 1,200 bucks. For pipe intercooler every. Third how is he going to need an upgraded exhaust system. The turbo is driven from exhaust, He wouldn't have to change anything. A little boost on a 4.3 is fine the motors themselves are pretty strong and can take a little boost. Its when you start abusing it and boosting 16psi or something is when your going to start blowing things up.

So I guess all my SS buddies running maggies and sts's on our trucks are going to all blow up.

PVT Pablo 05-20-2009 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by TheBrettster (Post 218449)
well first off if you rebuilt a 4.3 i DOUBT it would cost anything over 1,500 bucks. Second my turbo kit which i was piecing together costed me around 1,200 bucks. For pipe intercooler every. Third how is he going to need an upgraded exhaust system. The turbo is driven from exhaust, He wouldn't have to change anything. A little boost on a 4.3 is fine the motors themselves are pretty strong and can take a little boost. Its when you start abusing it and boosting 16psi or something is when your going to start blowing things up.

So I guess all my SS buddies running maggies and sts's on our trucks are going to all blow up.

You could easily buy V8 for less than $2,700...

To me, a V8 is just less stuff to break.