Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos (https://blazerforum.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-11/)
-   -   supercharger parasitic loss? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-11/supercharger-parasitic-loss-62068/)

Opi 08-12-2011 08:44 PM

supercharger parasitic loss?

I'm not much of a mechanic but and have been studying superchargers a little bit. It's side there is a parasitic loss due to the supercharger running off of the engine.

I got to thinking about it the stock the fan runs off the engine as well.

when replaced with an electric fan how much Hp does that free up.

if a supercharger was used and the fan was replaced with an electric would that make up for the parasitic loss?

oktain 08-13-2011 04:20 PM

While it may not necessarily compensate for the loss (since I don't know how much loss there is, I'm no S/C guru) it will make up for some of it at the very least.

With a Supercharger though people don't worry about parasitic loss from the S/C since you're making more power in the end anyway. There also isn't as much "lag" as a turbo, since you have to wait for the exhaust to spool the turbo up to your max boost, the S/C will always be providing some boost.

AJBert 08-13-2011 09:51 PM

Just google supercharger vs turbo. It should explain everything you want to know, other than if replacing the clutch fan will replace the HP loss by installing a supercharger.

As far as I know, no one has done any comparison on the parasitc loss on a supercharge compared to any parasitic gain from installing an electric fan.

Just google and you will learn the advantages and cons to both.

Rottidog 08-14-2011 01:08 AM

Seeing as I have both I'll get back to you tomorrow morning (14th) when I'm sober lol.
Let you know my real world experiences with SC'ing & Efan. ZR2Dan should pipe up & voice his thoughts too.

zr2dan 08-14-2011 12:02 PM

i have electric fan and supercharger setup a performance tech al martin told me just electric fan swap alone will put 8 hp to your rear wheels and as far as a loss of power from adding a supercharger is insane your adding 100hp at flywheel and gettin near 60 to your rear wheels using a turbo system requires alot more tuning and more modification

swartlkk 08-14-2011 02:07 PM

If you're talking about an old direct drive (ie. no clutch) fan, then I could see the 8HP thing being close. With the factory fan setups on these trucks, you don't really see much of a gain especially if you have an electric fan that can put out the same CFM that the stock one is capable of (which would be VERY expensive). The factory thermo-viscous fan clutch is actually quite efficient as is the fan design. If you install it without a controller; just turning on whenever the key is on, you'll actually be using more power.

With the proper controller, an electric fan can approach the efficiency of the stock setup with the added benefit of being able to be turned off if needed (water crossing, etc), but you also add complexity.

As far as the parasitic loss due to the supercharger being driven by the engine, since there is still a net gain, it isn't really viewed as something that you need to gain back somewhere else.

There are many different comparisons between belt driven roots type & centrifugal superchargers & exhaust driven turbo chargers and all have some amount of bias based on the preference of the author. I would encourage you to do a lot of reading up on them to see which one would be best for your intended use.

Rottidog 08-14-2011 09:29 PM

Like Kyle (swartlkk) said, the fan gains are minimal BUT I personally love the sound of the engine over the sound of the stock fan turning. Even with just the Cold Air Intake (CAI) it sounded better.
As for parasitic gains for driving a supercharger, it's like an investement you know is going to pay off - you take money out of pocket (lose HP) to make more money than you invested. So if if it 'costs' you 6hp to make 80hp, the parasitic losses are part of the deal.
Turbo does take a lot more plumbing but does/can have better gains because you're using something that doesn't cost you anything (HP wise, out of pocket is another story)

It's all about what time, money & creativity you want to invest. A Wynjammer like Dan & I have is akin to plug-n-play if you get the pre-programmed PCM or send yours to get programmed. You could see another 60HP at the wheels & remember that an automatic in a vehicle along with other parasitic losses IE rotating mass of the engine will cost you about 25% crank HP. So the 80HP gain at the crank will only be 60HP at the wheels.

Again, search & read up & see what would fit into your life, bank & what gains you want.
If a turbo or supercharger isn't to your liking there is a blog on here with links about how to build a 4.3 for 301HP as a daily driver. <--- crank HP
Try a search for 301 4.3