Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos (https://blazerforum.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-11/)
-   -   turbo charger (https://blazerforum.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-11/turbo-charger-57262/)

blazerdm 03-29-2011 04:50 PM

turbo charger

i have a 98 blazer 4.3 4x4 and was wanting to know were i could get a turbo or pro charger for it and how hard it would be to get installed.

plugulgy 03-30-2011 10:58 PM

Summit has a belt driven supercharger for a couple G's. Looks like bolt on power to me.

UR50SLO 04-04-2011 04:11 PM

Read my thread on FullThrottleV6.com - V6 5th Gen Camaro, Firebird, Grand Prix, and Mustang Tech Forums under 4.3L Marine intake conversion.

Superchargers are a waste of time and money for little results and no power.

Good luck,
Scott~

oktain 04-04-2011 04:58 PM

Little results and no power? That's a little extreme don't you think? Turbo's and Superchargers both have their advantages and disadvantages. Turbos don't have that parasitic loss because there's no pulley drive like an S/C.

To the original question, anytime you're doing forced induction you'll need to get more fuel to it, meaning you'll need bigger injectors, as well as a dyno tune to even make it run properly. Marine intake is also the way to go on the 4.3's. I'm no guru with this stuff but if superchargers were junk I doubt they'd be as popular as they are.

zr2dan 04-06-2011 12:25 PM

my supercharged 4.3 is no slouch and it has plenty of power im no street racer so im not constantly hammering the throttle but when i romp my pedal it kicks sideways and has a nice launch i bought the kit from wynjammer he has the fuel system upgrade and all pending on which kit you buy it took me a few hours to install and i was driving his kit comes with pulleys breather pipes all the nuts and bolts belts and new pcm tuned for the supercharger with easy to understand instructions if you can install a cold air intake and a alternator you can do the mod yourself

UR50SLO 04-07-2011 04:57 AM

Unless your running one of the big F3 chargers which cost 6-7000.00 your not flowing enough air to make a big difference..
I've read about all the windjammer bearing failures.. No thanks.
No Intercooler... High Intake temps... I've been sent HPTuners log files with the windjammer.. 140+deg intake air temps would make me pee myself!

Go run your Blazer at the track once.. I'll bet you don't run faster than a 15.00
Stock it'd run 17's.
The turbo that was on our Jimmy was a used stock Typhoon turbo with 120,000mi on it. Then it was installed on our Jimmy and used for another 50,000mi and still driven now.
(We sold the truck) Now we have a TBSS AWD.
Yes... I'm bias on the turbo side of things.. I admit that but it's coming from the perspective of comon mechanical sense.
I want the most power with the least amount problems.. the most dependability and the least amount of cost. That leads me to one solution.. Turbo.
~Scott

zr2dan 04-07-2011 02:56 PM

well like i said im no racer but i am happy with the performance i get from my supercharger and my 4x4 wont be seeing any quarter mile race track anytime soon and its cool that you are a turbo guy nothin wrong with that i like turbo powered engines as well as a matter of fact i have been contemplating getting a turbo for my toyota corolla maybe you can give me some pointers i went with the wynjammer on the blazer because it was affordable to me and a friend at the speed shop said the engine could handle the 6 lb boost without having engine complications but as far as putting the turbo on myself it looks to be pretty complex and i dont have access to computer tuners and dyno's and speed shop labor bills arent cheep

01vortec 04-07-2011 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by UR50SLO (Post 423464)
Read my thread on FullThrottleV6.com - V6 5th Gen Camaro, Firebird, Grand Prix, and Mustang Tech Forums under 4.3L Marine intake conversion.

Superchargers are a waste of time and money for little results and no power.

Good luck,
Scott~

So that's your Jimmy!

You, Sir, Have a badass setup! Did you ever get that thing on a dyno?

UR50SLO 04-12-2011 06:28 AM

The Jimmy was no bad ass setup.. it was Crap I had laying around doing nothing that I had taken off the wife's Typhoon... Nothing more. Everything was stock.
It'd be fun to really play around with it.. larger turbo.. built engine somthing like that but for what little I had to do it responded pretty decent.
Low 14's isn't fast but in a truck that would have been in the 18second bracket it's a huge difference for just basicly bolting on Junk I had laying around under a bench collecting dust.
I've installed turbo's on a bunch of stuff that wasn't ment to be there.. on the cheap and with good results.
Dan: if you are not too far from me I'd be glad to give you a hand or ideas. Not a Toyota expert but the setup's are basicly the same regardless of make.
01 Vortec: I've never had any of my car's including my Camaro on a Dyno..... I think street tuning and track tuning is the best. There are more forces happing to a vehicle that a Dyno just can't simulate. Best to tune in the real world... where the vehicle get's driven.
And I've never run race fuel in any of my cars either. Just 93.. But now that 93 is like 50.00 a gallon what's the point of saving a buck or two Lol.
~Scott

01vortec 04-12-2011 12:47 PM

I agree with not tuning on a dyno, real-world tunes are much better, I was just wondering if you had thrown it on to see what kind of power numbers it put down.