Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos (https://blazerforum.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-11/)
-   -   Whats up with this 'Turbonator' thing? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-11/whats-up-turbonator-thing-2129/)

Canadian88 01-21-2006 02:06 PM

Whats up with this 'Turbonator' thing?

I was browsing the photo gallery on this site and saw something that caught my eye. This ad on the side of the page said something like 'supercharge your blazer for only 69.99'. I am obviously sceptical, but interested. It is basically just a booster fan that goes in the intake hose behind the filter. I know that it wouldn't be anything like a true blower, but does anyone have one, or know anyone who does? CLICKY CLICK.

swartlkk 01-21-2006 02:57 PM

RE: Whats up with this 'Turbonator' thing?

Absolute BS. I'd have to do some digging, but if I were to find them, I have a Car-and-Driver and a Motor Trend magazine that both went through and tested these so-called mileage and power boosters with 'simple' installation. The turbonator does NOTHING. They claim it creates a vortex that makes it all the way to the cylinders to better atomize the gas. Doesn't work... The swirling effect barely makes it past the throttle body in most cases and whenever you put an abstruction in the air intake path, it will slow down the air flow. It has to because no extra energy is put into the air stream, but it is using the energy of the airflow across the blades of the 'turd-bonator to twist the air (simple conservation of energy) and the by-product is a more restrictive airflow causing the cylinders to have to pull more to get the air in.

Actually, the claim of the Vortec motors is that the design of the intake runner to valve and down into the cylinder promotes a mini-vortex current inside the combustion chamber to better mix the air and fuel. This is designed into the head where it is much more likely to work and work well.

Just think of how long this vortex would have to stay together to get into the cylinders. Not to mention how many turns it would have to take to get there as well.

Don't believe the quick / easy power adders.

LittleDan911 01-21-2006 08:57 PM

Ok.... I Have A Question....... I Heard That You Don't Want The Whole Swril Effect Thing Because It Disturbs the air flow...kinda like exhaust How You Don't Want Any Kinks Like mandral bends..... But I'm Not Sure If That 100% Ture....And Saidly If Thats True... I Can't Find A TBS That Dosen't Swril The Air Flow

4lowlife 01-21-2006 09:04 PM

On my throttle body blade, there is a riveted "lip" on it. Any one got that too?

click here for what I'm refering to.

swartlkk 01-21-2006 09:07 PM

On vehicles with a MAF (mass air flow) sensor, the MAF will not read the actual air flow correctly unless it is straight laminar flow. Pretty much any MAF sensor only samples air flow at specific spots (only 3 sensor heads in a GM MAF) and then the computer averages those readings out to get the total air flow through the sensor. That is why it isn't good to just take and open up your stock MAF without having the PCM recalibrated to the new MAF reading. Basically, if you open up the MAF with no other modifications, the PCM will think X is going in when it really is X+Y (Y being the added airflow from porting the sensor) and given X only, the PCM will want to only put in the corresponding amount of fuel, creating a dangerously lean condition. Also, the screen on the front of the MAF is an air straightener to make sure that the airflow through the sensor is straight and laminar. The sensor is calibrated with the screen. Much the same way as porting the sensor causes incorrect readings, removing the screen can have the same effect. This time, the sensor will read lower than what is actually there because the airflow can be faster in an area not covered by a sensor head. This can cause the same lean condition as a ported MAF.

About the TB (I think you meant throttle body anyway). A lot of research and development goes into how the air moves inside an engine. After the TB, all bets are off and I wouldn't worry about anything beyond the TB. Anything you can do to get air into and out of your engine easier, is a good thing except for messing with calibrated sensors.

swartlkk 01-21-2006 09:11 PM

ORIGINAL: 4lowlife

On my throttle body blade, there is a riveted "lip" on it. Any one got that too?
Yup, I've got one... err... Had one. The riveted on flat portion is still there, but I dremelled off the curved portion. I've got much better part throttle response, but WOT (wide open throttle) hasn't changed at all. It did make the throttle a bit jumpy until I learned how to be on it. I like it though.

Also, if you do under go this little mod, don't just drill out the rivets. The idle will never be the same. Flat plate has a smaller hole than the throttle blade has in it and if the rivets are gone, there will be even more air holes that will allow more air in than the IAC can compensate more, making for a high idle and a set a DTC.

4lowlife 01-21-2006 09:16 PM

Right on!! I purchased a new throttle blade years ago expecting something special. It ended up being a stamped out piece of aluminum. What a waste considering I could have done what you did.

4lowlife 01-21-2006 09:18 PM

For those who use K&N filters. Beware that you do not over oil the filter like I did. It coated to sensor inside the mass air flow sensor.

I used brake parts cleaner to clean it up. Hopefully nothing got destroyed.

swartlkk 01-21-2006 09:23 PM

Although brake parts cleaner wouldn't be my first choice, it will clean off the sensor heads and screen quite well. You'll want to make sure that the sensor is dry before putting it back in service. I use electrical cleaner spray and when the heads are VERY dirty and caked on, I use a q-tip dipped in the cleaner. Be VERY careful as the sensor head wires are fragile and will break ruining the sensor. These things aren't cheap either!

4lowlife 01-22-2006 12:26 AM

Yeah they're expensive. I'm not at work and don't have access to any electrical cleaner. For the moment, hee hee.