Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Roading (https://blazerforum.com/forum/off-roading-25/)
-   -   1989 s-10 Blazer 4X4 (https://blazerforum.com/forum/off-roading-25/1989-s-10-blazer-4x4-41759/)

NJ gilrane NJ 03-06-2010 10:34 AM

1989 s-10 Blazer 4X4

what should i do to this to make it better off roading

pj5454302 03-06-2010 12:27 PM

Well ill start it off, 2in lift shackles in the back (or air shocks) Tbar tweak (bout 1.25in. Some kind of a/t or m/t tire, and if you dont have one, some kind of locker in the back( i have a powertrax lock rite). And if you are felling ambitious a in body lift. For everything its about a grand, Tires, locker, shackles(or air shocks), and the tbar tweak is free. That should help.

Joemakerman 03-09-2010 08:54 AM

Is the locker and a Tbar tweak something one could do on their own? Or should I get it proffesionally done?

-Joe

DKSDAD 03-09-2010 09:45 AM

T-bar crank and shakels can be done at home with some basic know how and hand tools.Juat search the forum I beleive in the suspension tech section for some pretty good info on this. The locker may be a different story depending on your know how. I have not installed one as of yet,some are more involved than others. Just go on line and see what you think. Here is just 1 site to look.http://www.offroaders.com/tech/lock-right-locker.htm. Good luck, and don't forget to take pictures of before and after. Also, there is plenty of info on the forum about what size tires fit stock and with different lifts.

Sisk 03-09-2010 10:36 AM

tbars and shackles have been beated to death as a topic on the forum...just search away.

As for making the truck better in off road situations get a decent set of tires. Tires make a HUGE difference. A good set of AT's should help you out.

1984K5 03-11-2010 12:18 AM

As stated above, lockers can vary in difficulty. For a selectable locker, such as an ARB, I'd at least want someone who really knows what they're doing looking over my shoulder. But your average lunchbox lockers are pretty simple and can be done in a few hours pretty easily.

Building for off road will spiral out of control really fast. Need that lift to fit the bigger tires underneath, but those bigger tires will require some gearing for the truck to run well on the street. And the axles better be strong enough...blah blah blah. Best advice I can give is to start with an aggressive tire (At least an all terrain, but a decent mud terrain will be much better) and some armor to keep the rocks out of the vital parts. Then grow from there.

Joemakerman 03-11-2010 09:01 AM

Nevermind, stupid question that I easily found out for myself. Sorry about the spam.

-Joe

bigkhans 03-11-2010 12:59 PM

I have an 89 sport and my friend has an 89 tahoe, he went with the tbar crank, shackles and 3" body lift sure he can fit 31" tires but his mpg's suck and he really cant go any where I can't. Granted having a g80 for the rear helps but so does having good shocks, ball joints and tires. It then comes down to the skill of the driver and understanding what the limits of the vehicle is and how far is the driver willing to push those limits.

pj5454302 03-12-2010 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by bigkhans (Post 310818)
I have an 89 sport and my friend has an 89 tahoe, he went with the tbar crank, shackles and 3" body lift sure he can fit 31" tires but his mpg's suck and he really cant go any where I can't. Granted having a g80 for the rear helps but so does having good shocks, ball joints and tires. It then comes down to the skill of the driver and understanding what the limits of the vehicle is and how far is the driver willing to push those limits.

+1 I have gone places in my truck that bigger more jacked up trucks couldent. Its all about the line and having experienc.

twotonethunder 03-12-2010 11:37 PM

ive heard the older s10 blazers are better offroad then the 95 and up ones is this true?