Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Roading (https://blazerforum.com/forum/off-roading-25/)
-   -   2002 blazer ls 4x4???? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/off-roading-25/2002-blazer-ls-4x4-36210/)

jimhens82 10-24-2009 09:41 PM

2002 blazer ls 4x4????

this is my first 4x4 ive always drove 2wd with the best tires i could find. ive asked this already but, mines stock 4x4 4dr, what is it capable of? ive took my 2wd many places where it shouldnt

Sisk 10-25-2009 10:59 AM

Well that's a really general question that's hard to answer lol.
The only way to know for sure is to try it. I've taken my Blazer through some pretty steep ditches that I never thought I would make it through. I haven't gotten into any hard core off roading though.
Keep in mind the ground clearance isn't all that great on these because the frame and diff hang down so low. Just try it out and get a feel for your truck and you will discover what it can do. One suggestion though - when you do take it off road, don't go alone. That way when (yes, when) you get stuck you have someone there that can pull you out.
Just take it slow through the larger obstacles and don't be afraid to push the envelope a little (just don't roll it!). And have fun, take pics, then post the pics here :D

Swain 10-25-2009 04:29 PM

Also remember its better to go on the slower side and get stuck then on the faster side and break parts!

old skool luvr 10-25-2009 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Swain (Post 257991)
Also remember its better to go on the slower side and get stuck then on the faster side and break parts!

but isn't that how we learn to fix out trucks, and what needs to be upgraded later? hahahaha!

jimhens82 10-26-2009 07:27 PM

im a wrench by trade fixin is no biggie just wonderin since this is my 1st 4x4 i dont plan to go nuts im 27 yrs old, with a 2 yr old and a new baby boy comin in 2 weeks!!!
thanks for the replies..

old skool luvr 10-26-2009 09:28 PM

congrats on the new addition brother.

i've found that the 1st gen's seem to take more abuse than the newer 2nd gen's...........maybe it's just the tech that doesn't like to be beaten off-road, i don't know. just tread lightly in the begining, you'll soon learn what the limitations of your rig will be.
but above all else, have fun! :icon_biggrin:

Swain 10-27-2009 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by old skool luvr (Post 258096)
but isn't that how we learn to fix out trucks, and what needs to be upgraded later? hahahaha!

Yeah I'd love to hydrolock my motor, break an axle/tie rod/balljoint etc. Slower is better when you have somebody to pull you out. If he had Dana 60's with some 35" tires and a nice snorkel I would tell him to hammer through everything, but he doesn't.

Oh and make sure you keep the undercarriage clean after you go through some mud. A lot of people will drive around forever and not wash their trucks but the mud/sand/dirt will creep into balljoints/universal joints/CV's/wherever else you don't want it and ruin them. Extend your differential breather hoses if you plan on going through deep water...but you probably shouldn't go any higher then the front bumper.

old skool luvr 10-27-2009 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Swain (Post 258473)
Yeah I'd love to hydrolock my motor, break an axle/tie rod/balljoint etc. Slower is better when you have somebody to pull you out. If he had Dana 60's with some 35" tires and a nice snorkel I would tell him to hammer through everything, but he doesn't.

Oh and make sure you keep the undercarriage clean after you go through some mud. A lot of people will drive around forever and not wash their trucks but the mud/sand/dirt will creep into balljoints/universal joints/CV's/wherever else you don't want it and ruin them. Extend your differential breather hoses if you plan on going through deep water...but you probably shouldn't go any higher then the front bumper.

especially if you don't snorkel it. it's amazing how fast you air tube can turn into a wet vac.

jimhens82 10-27-2009 06:27 PM

thanks alot guys!! ill be playin as soon as i can, let ya know how it goes!!