Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Roading (https://blazerforum.com/forum/off-roading-25/)
-   -   Is a 2WD worth the trouble? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/off-roading-25/2wd-worth-trouble-28110/)

Willy2590 02-28-2009 08:58 AM

Is a 2WD worth the trouble?

Hey,

I have a 2000 Blazer 4DR LS 2WD (RWD) with stock everything right now. I'm wanting to put a brushguard/tail light guards/rear bumper guard on and possibly get a small lift and some slightly bigger, A/T tires.

Only problem is that it is 2WD. I'm not planning on going mudding or doing any extreme offroading in this truck, but I will from time to time be going on/around trails for triathlon and cross country events, so the tires I think would help.

I've had some people say it's a good idea to do that if I'm just going to be doing some light offroading, while others are telling me that it's not even worth it and I shouldn't waste my money if it isn't 4WD. I'm thinking that I want this new blazer of mine to be my show/daily driver truck and I will one day buy a mud machine truck or just a 4-wheeler.

Any advice/opinions on what I should do and if my blazer is/isn't worth fixing up to make it a little more offroad-worthy?

WolfPack 02-28-2009 10:33 AM

RE: Is a 2WD worth the trouble?

nothing wrong with a show truck.

its your truck, do what you want!

swartlkk 02-28-2009 10:39 AM

Exactly, do what you want. You are the only person that you need to make happy!

Willy2590 02-28-2009 10:46 AM

I guess a good question to help specify would be: Just how much can a 2WD handle with beefed up tires and better lift? I'm not going to go all-out mudding, but I may put it through a little bit of light(er) offroad abuse here and there.

ZR2nut 02-28-2009 12:03 PM

The key word there is "light" off road duty. Keep it light and it will still be fun even in a 2wd. It's your money and your Blazer, so do what makes you happy.

95Blzr 02-28-2009 12:08 PM

Get a locking rear and you will do pretty good. Unless you have a G80 already?

Willy2590 02-28-2009 06:47 PM

I feel stupid in asking, but what is a locking rear and what's a G80?

95Blzr 02-28-2009 08:11 PM

Type in G80 on youtube its the first and second videos. Look in your glove box there will be a lot of 3 Digit codes. Look for G80 if you have that you have a G80

cr8390 03-01-2009 02:02 AM

idk 2wd in these trucks suck ive tried driving in 6 inches of snow and highway tires in 2wd also some mud and the rear just digs in and spins. Granted that was with highway tires but once i click that 4wd i go where ever i want. But yea i agree it's your truck do whatever you want to it.

T.Low 03-01-2009 05:42 AM

A G80 is a General Motors rear end that has a posi traction differential.

An "open" differential will send torque (power) to the least amount of resistance, i.e., the wheel with the least amount of traction. Soif you hit slippery mud on only one side, that is the side thattorque will be sent to. You will spin that wheel and may be stuck even though the other wheel is on hard pack, because the open diff is not sending any power to that "other" wheel. AKA, "one wheel peal".

A "posi traction"differential like in the G80, will activate when needed and send tourque to both wheels so the wheel that is not in the mud will have power too so it can grab some traction and you will not slow down a bit. A posi traction diff is usually recommended for rigs that will see a lot of on pavement action, as it is not always kicked in, only when you need it.

A "locker" is a differential that is always locked in to supply torque to both wheels. Its not recomended for a lot of on pavement driving because it will bind (outside wheel travelling more distance than the inside wheel, etc). Lockers are usually found more often on serious wheelers. Of course, you can get a locker that you can activate with a switch, like and E-Locker (electronic) or an air locker (need an on board compressor or switch over your air conditioning compressor).

Hopefully you have a G80. My AWD Astro was an open diff, so I installed an Eaton posi(similar to a G80) in it and even the Land Rover guys are impressed by what it will do now.

If you have a G80 and drive like you don't want to get stuck, you'll most likely be fine.Butkeep a self recovery kit in the rig just incase(come along, chain, tree strap, etc).Like they said above, its your rig, sodo to it what youwant. Cheers.

Edit: For reference sake, I agree with CR8390; my posi gets stuck in certain snow situations, then I press the magic button (4wd) and away I go.