Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Roading (https://blazerforum.com/forum/off-roading-25/)
-   -   All the essentials (https://blazerforum.com/forum/off-roading-25/all-essentials-98542/)

Hunterturner6 01-06-2019 07:22 PM

All the essentials

So, basically I’m new to the whole off-roading thing and want to know what are the absolute essentials other than the obvious like a winch or tires. I have a 93’ S10 that is lifted a few inches with no actual off-roading parts. Anything helps and if you have any questions go ahead and ask

cleburne red 01-06-2019 07:51 PM

Best thing to have is another vehicle to drive to work on Monday morning, after you break your truck off roading on the weekend.

Aside from that, a decent tow strap, and a couple shackles is important, and having good recovery points front and rear on your truck.

Having a couple buddies to wheel with makes for a much more stree free time, as well

christine_208 01-07-2019 12:17 AM

I am no off-roader but I do take my rig to the woods for hunting in North Idaho. Generally I can expect snow when I hunt and this is what I carry for getting un-stuck:
  • 2 tow straps
  • snow shovel
  • hand-operated come-long and an electric portable winch (mostly for pulling elk out of ditches if I am so lucky!)
  • traction tracks (4) to put under the tires if I get stuck in the snow
  • 2 pairs of tire chains
  • hatchet and saw
These are the things I'm considering adding:
  • an elastic recovery strap (need another rig to use) with dampener
  • tree protector strap
  • a proper, approx. 9,000 lb, winch mounted on a portable cradle that can be mounted to the front or rear receiver (with appropriate upgrade to my electrical system)
  • chain-saw
When I go out, someone always knows where I am going. I also have food, water, sleeping bag, cook stove, first aid kit, tools, extra oil, and a hand-held ham radio.

I'd be interested to hear what others bring or how they are equipped.

Hunterturner6 01-07-2019 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by cleburne red (Post 700844)
Best thing to have is another vehicle to drive to work on Monday morning, after you break your truck off roading on the weekend.

Aside from that, a decent tow strap, and a couple shackles is important, and having good recovery points front and rear on your truck.

Having a couple buddies to wheel with makes for a much more stree free time, as well

I guess I should’ve said what can I put on my blazer to make it so I don’t need those tow straps as often 😉 but thanks for the reply, like I said anything helps

Tom A 01-07-2019 12:04 PM

The more skid plates underneath, the better. It's tough to drive back home with a hole ripped in the gas tank or transfer case.

Hess13x 01-07-2019 06:40 PM

Depends on the type of wheeling you are doing. #1 thing to have is COMMON SENSE! Lol I have been known to leave that home a time or two. As far as what to have on or done to the truck, make sure it's mechanically sound if going out on your own. I've wheeled completely stock vehicles to fairly built rigs. Good tires help, a spare ( that has air in it) jack and lug wrench. Extra fluids just in case. But most importantly have fun, but respect the land and the laws. We don't need our public lands shut down.

christine_208 01-07-2019 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Hunterturner6 (Post 700859)

I guess I should’ve said what can I put on my blazer to make it so I don’t need those tow straps as often 😉 but thanks for the reply, like I said anything helps

Good tires and a well maintained truck. Past that a winch to help you get unstuck.

christine_208 01-07-2019 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Hess13x (Post 700894)
... But most importantly have fun, but respect the land and the laws. We don't need our public lands shut down.

Good point. That is a problem on the privately owned timberlands here in North Idaho and also the public lands. Yahoos go out there to go "mudding", making deep ruts, ruining meadows, driving around gates causing damage to the environment and scaring game. Especially with the private timberlands, more restrictions are being added because some person selfishly wanted to play with their truck without consideration of their actions on others. The damage caused ruins fragile places for years if not decades if in high elevations and the hunting gets worse for the rest of us.

Hunterturner6 01-07-2019 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Hess13x (Post 700894)
Depends on the type of wheeling you are doing. #1 thing to have is COMMON SENSE! Lol I have been known to leave that home a time or two. As far as what to have on or done to the truck, make sure it's mechanically sound if going out on your own. I've wheeled completely stock vehicles to fairly built rigs. Good tires help, a spare ( that has air in it) jack and lug wrench. Extra fluids just in case. But most importantly have fun, but respect the land and the laws. We don't need our public lands shut down.

Probably won’t go out on my own, but the biggest thing I’m seeing over and over are good tires, but I just bought brand new mud tires less than 6 months ago and I went this past weekend with a few friends but only two vehicles and it (my blazer) only made it through 2 or 3 mud holes before needing to get pulled out every few minutes and would just spin the tires so ended up just parking my car and all went in his Jeep, maybe my 4x4 is broken? As of the type of off roading, I’m in pa and probably would only go in mud or dirt

cleburne red 01-07-2019 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Hunterturner6 (Post 700921)

Probably won’t go out on my own, but the biggest thing I’m seeing over and over are good tires, but I just bought brand new mud tires less than 6 months ago and I went this past weekend with a few friends but only two vehicles and it (my blazer) only made it through 2 or 3 mud holes before needing to get pulled out every few minutes and would just spin the tires so ended up just parking my car and all went in his Jeep, maybe my 4x4 is broken? As of the type of off roading, I’m in pa and probably would only go in mud or dirt

So, could you tell if either front wheel was spinning? Quite possible there is something wrong with the front axle actuator, it's a common failure with these trucks.

Also, the frames on our trucks sits really low, making it super easy to get stuck that way. The answer for that is lift+big tires!