Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

CB Radio...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 10:46 PM
ceanern is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: CB Radio...

the constant stop and go of having to fix the damn thing. haha. Could alway get a converter that will allow you to run it through your factory radio antenna.

Old 09-12-2006, 12:57 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a Firestik 4' Firefly tuneable antenna and side mounted it to my trucks. Yep two of my S10-Blazers have the exact same set-up. Bought the antenna and side mount kit from Firestik.

You get the idea.

On my '00 I average about 6-8 miles, and about 4-6 miles in the '87. I think hte difference is where I draw the power and the antenna ground wire. The '00 I draw power off the battery, the '87 of the cigarette lighter, not as clean.
Plus on the '00 I ran a 12 guage wire from the antenna up to the body gorund bolt under the passengers carpet on the firewall, while on the '87 I gournded it to the body by the taillight.

Old 09-12-2006, 07:08 PM
ceanern is an unknown quantity at this point

Probably don't have any install pics do ya? Just installed. Nice mud pics as well. I might be curious about getting me a set of those for my blazer. Will possibly be picking up a mid 90's jeep Cherokee for 250. Just needs a front clip, rear window, and a head gasket.

Old 09-12-2006, 09:59 PM
Bojib is an unknown quantity at this point

I like the look of the firestick mount. Has does the cable work with it though? Does it come with one that attaches with a smaller plug than the one on the back of the CB? Or do you run the cable, then solder the plug to the end of it outside of the blazer?

Old 09-14-2006, 01:00 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Install pics, just a few!

The antenna is mounted to the fender on the opposite side of the duct tape. The duct tape covers the hole. You'll have to take the trim off to access the hole on the inside body panel. Should be a factory hole. Only drilling required is the outside body panel. Follow the instructions in the side mount kit. The kit also comes with the coax cable. The cable screws on and bolts up to the antenna, and screws into the CB. Real easy installation.

First pic is the inside panel. You can see my ground wire, and the coaz cable coming out of the duct tape. I ran the coax under the door sills all the way up to the front of the truck. Second pic is where I mounted the CB in the '87. Its a bigger unit and fit nicely under the dash. I can get a pic of the cb mounted in teh '00 in the ashtray location if oyu want.

Check out www.firestik.com for antennas and antenna accessories. They have mounting kits for just about every applicaiton. They also have one heck of a tech section. They ask and answer just about every question you could have.

Old 09-14-2006, 06:27 PM

I went to the firestik and took a look around. I see how the cable mounts to it now. I figured it had to be something smaller than the standard plugs used.

Really thinking about getting that one, actually, I probably will before long. I actually already have a firestik antenna I use to use on an ATV. So I'm halfway there, all I need is to get my radio in (they shipped via fed ex and they are taking their sweet time with it), and get myself a mount. Will probably have to order the mount as well, I've called around to the local places and no one seems to have it, still a few more places to call though so I may luck out yet.

I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of the mount in the '00 model, since it will be closer to my year model.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:47 PM

I have a question now.

How do you eliminate engine noise?

The problem isn't so much with my blazer is the funny thing. It does pick up a little engine noise from it, but I ran a ground wire straight of the CB case and it solved much of that problem. The new problem is that it picks up engine noise from OTHER vehicles. I'm guessing it might just be that I'm using a cheap Radio Shack magnet mount antenna for now. I don't know though.

Old 09-28-2006, 05:05 AM
Marzocchi65 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same Question so I went to radio shack and got a 12v cigarette lighter plug and put that on my cb so I can take it out when I don't need it. That's the only idea I could come up with that would still be functional but not annoying. I just set it in the large space under the ashtray when I'm using it and stuff my antenna connector behind everything when I'm not. Hope that helps.

Old 09-29-2006, 01:12 AM
BF Veteran

Most "noise" comes in via the power wire. Teh best place to draw power for the cb is of the battery. Any other circuit will have "noise" in the circuit.

I highly recommend that you tune your antenna, use a SWP meter.

I also get interference noise when I pass semi's, but then again my SWP meter reading is roughly 1.2. 1 is perfect, 5 will destroy your radio. Needless to say, I get great reception.