Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Roading (https://blazerforum.com/forum/off-roading-25/)
-   -   Drying Out (https://blazerforum.com/forum/off-roading-25/drying-out-45727/)

masrace 06-14-2010 05:31 PM

Drying Out

So my Jimmy went for a short swim this weekend:

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...g/IMG_0560.jpg

And as a result, the interior was like this:

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...g/IMG_0561.jpg

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to dry it out? I've already put down cat liter twice, and now I have a bag of rice spread out, but any other suggestions?

Thanks.

(ps, I did learned that important "look before you leap" lesson)

84BlazerS10 06-14-2010 05:45 PM

I would say your best bet would be get a steam vacuum it should get rid of all the water and help with any smells.

abig84 06-14-2010 06:27 PM

Eh. You'll get used to the smell eventually. Throw some seeds down the plants that grow will drink it right up :)

If its a offroad truck just tear the carpet out

jigger 06-14-2010 08:59 PM

Get all the excess water out then open all doors/windows/tail gate and pit a good fan on it. A hot day in the sun helps while doing this.

When it's dry on top put baking soda on it and rub it into the carpet for about a week.

If you were that deep don't forght to check the diff's for water and the trans.
And make sure the doors are drained.

DKSDAD 06-14-2010 10:36 PM

When we have to service vehicles with water leaks at the dealership we strip out the interior seats amd carpets. We pull off and replace the jute backing on the carpets if there is any after the carpets are completly shampooed and dried and reinstall. You may also want to pull your door panel and such to check inside the doors faor water and sometimes there is insulation behind them also. I wish you luck, you have a lot of work ahead of you. Also, as stated you may want to service your fluids depending how deep you got to play it safe: diffs,trans,transfer case and oil.

masrace 06-16-2010 08:53 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I've already done the oil, I'm going to try and do the other fluids this weekend (I'm in college in the city, and have to go home to work on it). I've been trying to dry out the inside, airing it out as I drive to work, but I'm not comfortable leaving the windows open when I park it. Since its little swimming adventure, the 4wd has been acting...odd.

If I press the button for 4Hi, in park (of something other than neutral), nothing happens.
If I put it in neutral, and hit 4Hi, both lights (4Hi and 4Lo) start flashing, then I put it in drive, it goes back to 2Hi.
If I'm in neutral, and hit 4Lo, both lights flash, I put it in drive, and then I feel it getting into gear because its in Lo (I'm assuming), and then the lights stop, and nothing is lit up. And then if it I put it back into neutral, and hit 2Hi, it goes back to 2Hi.

I'm guessing of the electronics got wet, any suggestions on how to diagnose whats wrong with it? Or suggestions on how to fix it?

ComputerNerdBD 06-16-2010 10:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by masrace (Post 338723)
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I've already done the oil, I'm going to try and do the other fluids this weekend (I'm in college in the city, and have to go home to work on it). I've been trying to dry out the inside, airing it out as I drive to work, but I'm not comfortable leaving the windows open when I park it. Since its little swimming adventure, the 4wd has been acting...odd.

If I press the button for 4Hi, in park (of something other than neutral), nothing happens.
If I put it in neutral, and hit 4Hi, both lights (4Hi and 4Lo) start flashing, then I put it in drive, it goes back to 2Hi.
If I'm in neutral, and hit 4Lo, both lights flash, I put it in drive, and then I feel it getting into gear because its in Lo (I'm assuming), and then the lights stop, and nothing is lit up. And then if it I put it back into neutral, and hit 2Hi, it goes back to 2Hi.

I'm guessing of the electronics got wet, any suggestions on how to diagnose whats wrong with it? Or suggestions on how to fix it?

The TCCM (Transfer Case Control Module) is behind the passenger side kick panel (see the red circle in the attached photo). It was under the water. Probably shorted it out when the water came in. Check U-Pull-it yards. Those are $$$ from the dealership and it is a dealer-only item. Also try ebay. Search for S10Warehouse because they only sell Blazer and S-10 parts from salvage vehicles. You might also (as in addition to) have a problem with the encoder on the transfer case if that was under water. Water and electronics obviously don't mix.
Also, hate to say this also, but your airbag module is right under the center console. You might want to remove the fuse from the fuse panel if you have an AIRBAG light because if you shorted that module, the airbags might deploy. There are other electronics that were just above that water level. If it was any higher than that, I would call a professional to inspect everything from the dash down because you might have some issues there with the electronics.

P.S. Hate to say it, but when I saw this photo in your first post, the first thing I thought "Oh, no. This guy's TCCM is toast. " and then I scrolled down and your post about the 4WD confirmed what I thought. My TCCM failed 2.5 years ago just after getting the front shift fork replaced. The dealer charged us over $600 bucks to replace it and the 4WD failed 2 weeks later because they put a lower amperage (10A) fuse in the underhood fuse panel (ATC, 20A) to make it fail again to try to get more money. Also if your fuses are already popped (4WD and ATC), you will probably still have the problem if you replace it.

wlorton 06-16-2010 11:11 PM

Would rice help? I have seen people put small electronics in rice to get them to absorb the moisture

ComputerNerdBD 06-16-2010 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by wlorton (Post 338764)
Would rice help? I have seen people put small electronics in rice to get them to absorb the moisture

I have heard that too, but the problem is that the device has already been powered up.

I have heard of rice being used to dry out cell phones and mp3 players, but that was because the batteries were removed right after they got it out of the water and everything was deenergized. The problem was that the truck was started and the module was powered up. Any water already in there would have already caused damage to the circuits, even without pressing the 4x4 buttons on the dash. It even says so in the owner's manual that if the truck is exposed to water as if it was in a flood to the point where it soaks the carpet, to turn the truck off immediately to prevent damage to the electronics, specifically the airbag module and not to start it even to tow it until the battery is disconnected because the airbags could go off. If you have a 1998 Blazer/Jimmy manual, it is on page 1-29 in the airbag section.

Also how deep was the front end of the truck under water? How far was it up to? What other parts of it was under water?

P.S. I would have everything else checked out and if anything is damaged, go to a u-Pull-it yard for parts to save money. Electrical problems because of water could cause major problems down the road. My global history teacher in high school owned a 1999 Blazer and it got totaled out after it got in a flood. He got an Equinox to replace it. The problem with water and new trucks is the electronics.

kiwiblazer 06-17-2010 01:19 AM

Try lifting it & give it a good shake! LOL

Good luck with the drying & hope there's not too much damage.