Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Roading (https://blazerforum.com/forum/off-roading-25/)
-   -   It's coming soon! I miss the snow, you? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/off-roading-25/its-coming-soon-i-miss-snow-you-35419/)

jeffs91S10blazer 10-03-2009 02:12 PM

It's coming soon! I miss the snow, you?

I live in Coeur D' Alene, Idaho. It's about 30 minutes from Spokane, WA.
For the past 6 years I've lived here, the winters have been insane. Every year is always way worse than the last for some reason.

I think last year we got about a total of 130 inches of snow. Enough for our state/county or whatever to declare a state of emergency.
At winter time last year I worked from 11pm, till 7am. Late enough in the evening to have fresh, un-plowed snow. Then coming home from work was early enough to have even more un-plowed snow on the streets again.
Through all the troubles I see everyone having on the road in their vehicles, I chuckle sometimes for the simple fact that my Blazer, can Blaze through anything I've driven it through so far, and never had a problem or gotten stuck or lost control of my truck.

For a 91 S10 4x4, with some general All Season tires, I've been super happy about my Blazer i've owned for just about a year now. 188k miles on it and the 4 wheel drive stills shifts from 2wheel to 4hi perfectly while moving, never have heard a single clunk or grind from doing so. I hope this winter is worse than the last! Bring it on! Hopefully I can get lots of pictures this winter.

Last winter, I lived about 8-10 miles up into the mountains touching Coeur D' Alene, in which the snow was usually 8-14 inches deeper than it was in town. Talk about a fun drive every night in the pitch black with nothing except the gigantic bright snowflakes caught in the headlights. and the narrow road I lived on had lots of steep drop offs with no guard rails.

I've learned a few things living here... 1: hardly anyone knows how to drive in the snow. Over and over you will see people stopped at a red light in their 2 wheel drive car. When the light turns green they think the quickest way to get across is to just punch the gas and floor it. Usually they don't end up going anywhere and the light turns red again, pissing off 10-20 people behind them. What makes me laught even more is when they are the car in the other lane next to me and I get up and go haul ass across intersection like there isn't even icy/snowy out :P

Anyone else live in an area with crazy Winters and stupid town drivers? i'd like to hear them

Nathan1991 10-03-2009 03:32 PM

Im with you!! this will be the first winter with my blazer, its snowing here in calgary a little today, we have pretty bad winters as well, we've never had to declare a state of emergency though! thats crazy
and I know exactly what your talking about when the honda civic pulls up beside you and punches the gas not realizing their tires are just spinning haha, n00bz!!
I made it through two pretty harsh winters in my 89 crown vic with no problems so this winter will be a breeze! im also excited to snowboard!!

abig84 10-03-2009 04:49 PM

I'm at the point where I could care less either way works for me. I just hate the cold. Winters here have been weak. No more then 5 inches at a time

RangerG 10-03-2009 11:02 PM

I hate the cold, I hate driving/living with snow, I love hockey.

It almost balances out. I would play hockey in +30 heat if it meant no cold, and no snow though.

okvortec 10-03-2009 11:06 PM

Man I love the cold. I guess cause the average summer temp here is like 102.. i could live in 20-40 degrees with snow on the ground everyday for the rest of my life. We don't get a whole lot in OK.

SmokeDogg 10-03-2009 11:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here in northeast ohio we have pretty bad winters ,the winter storms accumulate in lake erie and then move a shore and dump all over us, they call "lake effect snow" and its not uncommon for us to accumulate a couple of feet in one snow fall, other than the cold i love it

1oldK5 10-03-2009 11:39 PM

Yea we never get snow out here being that it's Southern California, atleast not near my house. But just a short trip up the freeway to the mountains and bam there's snow as long as the weather is right. Nothing ever too major though, last few years even the ski / snowboarding resorts have had a hard time keeping the fluffy white stuff on the ground. I really do love the snow though. Got to get my short window and get some snowboarding in while at the same time work and be able to take my blazer up and play around in it for the short time it's actually here haha.

We do have tons of retarded drivers out here though. Just 2 days ago I'm taking my blazer to get lunch and this v6 mustang pulls beside me. Sure enough light turns green and he tries leaving me behind so I just floor it and leave him at the light. HAHA poor sucker was bouncing the rev limiter and grinding gears to pass me as I slowed down for a curve in the street (don't need a rollover).

bigkhans 10-03-2009 11:48 PM

Down here in Boise, Idaho we usually get more rain that snow. I've also observed that most people here don't know how to drive in snow regardless of their vehicle and what kind of tires they have. Plus the fact at the first hint of snow all the local tire shops will be sold out of studded tires within hours. Thats a fact down here, every winter it never fails.

SmokeDogg 10-03-2009 11:49 PM

it seems to me that the drivers around here forget how to drive in the snow every season

oktain 10-04-2009 11:26 AM

LOL, there's no such thing as a state of emergency in Northern Ontario. Go to Toronto though and all you hear about are accidents on the 400 series highways. I've plowed through some pretty big stuff in my Blazer and I've never gotten it stuck, even when I burried it up to the frame rails in the school parking lot when I was late for class. "OH there's a spot!" Got back after class, 4 low and just backed out with clutch control. I had a crowd stop to see if I'd get out. I didn't even spin the tires.