Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Roading (https://blazerforum.com/forum/off-roading-25/)
-   -   My Blazer Lost it's Off Road Virginity (https://blazerforum.com/forum/off-roading-25/my-blazer-lost-its-off-road-virginity-35210/)

Dark Rider 09-27-2009 06:03 PM

My Blazer Lost it's Off Road Virginity

Hey BFers,

Well, I just thought I would let you all know today was my first time truly going off road. Slight rush, more along the lines of "don't want to mess up my car." I've never been into the whole muddin' yee-haw thing, but I do like the idea of being able to get from point A to point B that many people can't. As for the gen. info:

My 03 Blazer 2dr is stock. Also its only 2 wheel drive, still handles inclines, small logs, and other obsticles with no problem. The location was the native upland woodlands between several lakes in North Central Florida (we own 20 rare native forrested acres). The terrain difference varies greatly, thanks to the Army Core of Engineer's attempt to create a canal (before there were geologists, and ecologists that could evaluate land properly) . In total I was out for about 45 minutes, my point wasn't actually to go off-roading (though it was a great excuse to instead of using the work truck). The land sits between two rural lakes (no public access) and we are one of an only few landowners here that want to keep things natural. Yet regardless of "no trespassing" signs, we are steadily encountering ATVers and dirt bikers literally ruining our land.

***OFF TOPIC RANT***
We don't mind people walking/birding/hiking/camping on the land, but we have stopped numerous small engine vehicles out there with kind warnings of which they just blow us off because were on foot. We call sherrifs office and by the time S.O. gets there they've left. I've installed blockades (posts w/fencing and logs stacks) of which they destroy, entire property has no ATV signs, and have fell numerous trees (of which the chainsaw up when were at work). These guys are really creating some bad ruts out there, of which we drive out regularly to tend our 2 acre garden, these ruts make $h!t fly out of my work truck there so bad. The cherry on top came when they started riding ACROSS MY YARD to get to the land. That ended when I put up fencing, which they went around and got stuck in a pit I dug with the tractor, leaving them for the local deputy. Sometimes I wished I lived in Texas if you catch my drift.

So today I took my blazer out to evaluate the property, got to do some serious climbing and brush cutting. This actually brings me to ask a question.

Since I went through some heavy brush, I got some light scratches on my sides, they almost seem to wipe off with some elbow grease. Will these come off completely? Or will I be stuck with hundreds of little scratches everywhere? Can I buff them out? And what do you guys do to protect your Blazers in this situation?

Sorry about the rant. Ya'll take it easy!

Dark Rider

okvortec 09-27-2009 07:25 PM

I wish I owned some land!! I've got a 2dr 2wd and it can hold its own amongst other suvs, thats for sure.

As for your question, by the way you describe it and through my experience, the scratches on the side of your truck can MOST LIKELY be buffed out with a good wash, wax, and some elbow grease. Please notice I said most likely, without seeing the truck in person I can't tell you for sure.

Dark Rider 09-27-2009 07:33 PM

okvortec,

Thanks for your reply. I think I will wash it within the next 48 hours and get a buffer from AAP. I want it to be tough, but I also want it to look nice.

As for its off roadness, shortly after I took my boat (14 wooden sailboat I built) to a new boat ramp and almost got stuck in some light sand LOL hahaha. The blazer can take inclines, steep declines, logs, and brush, but its arch enemy is... sand.

Take it easy!

okvortec 09-27-2009 07:40 PM

Haha yea, mud isn't really a 2wd's friend either, but like you said it will take dry trails (with the occasional puddle of course ;)) really well! Good luck with the paint, let us know how it turns out.

old skool luvr 09-27-2009 10:07 PM

glad to hear you're enjoying your new toy Dark Rider. as for getting stuck in the sand, what tires are you riding on (hope it's not the factory ones)?

Dynomitkid 09-29-2009 06:00 PM

k i am just a little worried with goin off roadin i have a 4door 99 and it is really low do u guys think it would be safe it is all stock but has awd and 4x4

bigkhans 09-29-2009 06:11 PM

An easy tip for big scratches is to use a crayon that is as close to your paint as possible, fill in the scratch with the crayon, and start buffing with polish. I don't own any land but I feel you pain regarding punks defiling you private property.

Nathan1991 09-29-2009 07:55 PM

thats the only trouble with black vehicles is the noticeable little scratches! My dad has a 1970 monte carlo with a really nice black paint job and a really nice clear coat, when he gets little scratches they tend to come out with a buff because of the clear coat.
you can get some wax that actually is black, and it fills in little surface scratches really nicely, thats what i used to wax my monte carlo with :)

cbr995 09-29-2009 08:04 PM

The most off roading my truck has seen is a dirt road near my house. The dirt on it is really loose, so it's great for low speed power slides! lol!

old skool luvr 09-29-2009 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dynomitkid (Post 249808)
k i am just a little worried with goin off roadin i have a 4door 99 and it is really low do u guys think it would be safe it is all stock but has awd and 4x4

how low is really low?
is your truck AWD or 4WD? hard to know since you said it has "awd and 4x4"
it all depends on what your definition of "safe" is. do you have a problem with bouncing the frame off of anything? how about dragging the ass end down a step incline? if you're worried about something possibly breaking, or scratching your paint, then going off-road probably not for you.
i've taken my '98 far off the beaten path many times. the only thing i can complain about, is the fact the front bumpers crack too easily. guess thats why i so many guys take the lower piece off, or lift their truck. but that's ok, the lady that owned the truck cracked both lower corners on some snow banks.