Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Roading (https://blazerforum.com/forum/off-roading-25/)
-   -   off road mods (https://blazerforum.com/forum/off-roading-25/off-road-mods-89644/)

bruncoon 04-24-2015 11:28 AM

off road mods

Hey guys I'm starting to make my 03 blazer more off road capable am was wondering you guys had any recommendations On tires, lifts, I've got some welding experience so I want to build my out bumpers and roof racks, but just in general any thing helps thanks!

lazyboyjake 04-24-2015 01:05 PM

If it's going to be an off road only build and you want it to be as capable as possible, I would start looking through some of the solid front axle conversions people have done. There are definitely easier way to lift the truck and get some form of clearance, but a solid front axle is going to be the most capable, in my opinion.

bruncoon 04-24-2015 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by lazyboyjake (Post 648473)
If it's going to be an off road only build and you want it to be as capable as possible, I would start looking through some of the solid front axle conversions people have done. There are definitely easier way to lift the truck and get some form of clearance, but a solid front axle is going to be the most capable, in my opinion.

Thanks I'm trying to make it just for off road and nothing super intense we don't get a ton of mud where I love just steep rock mountains. And I'm looking at the rc 2.5 inch suspension lift. What would that front axel help my with?

lazyboyjake 04-24-2015 01:39 PM

A solid front axle is going to be a lot less prone to breakage. The way these blazers are built uses independent front suspension so you have to deal with joints in each axle shaft as opposed to a single, solid axle shaft for each side. When you start angling those joints beyond the factory angles they tend to break a lot easier, which means no 4WD. But it all depends on how much you're looking to spend, how high you want it, and what you're going to be doing with it.

bruncoon 04-24-2015 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by lazyboyjake (Post 648476)
A solid front axle is going to be a lot less prone to breakage. The way these blazers are built uses independent front suspension so you have to deal with joints in each axle shaft as opposed to a single, solid axle shaft for each side. When you start angling those joints beyond the factory angles they tend to break a lot easier, which means no 4WD. But it all depends on how much you're looking to spend, how high you want it, and what you're going to be doing with it.

Thanks man that helps whst does that usually go for cost and time wise?

lazyboyjake 04-24-2015 02:19 PM

It typically takes a few months to a year of planning and buying parts here and there along with the time it takes to install it. And it will be costly. I've never done one, but from what I've read it can be anywhere from $2000+ after everything is done.

bruncoon 04-24-2015 02:42 PM

No I ment just the axle. But ya I figuerd it will ake about that

lazyboyjake 04-24-2015 11:08 PM

The axle itself ranges depending on what axle you get and where you get it from.