Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

Blazer to the Rescue!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 11:06 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough
Default Blazer to the Rescue!

So yesterday I got a call from one of my girlfriends. She apparently got her 1/2 Ford p/u perpendicular to the about 4-5 car-length driveway that was all snowed and iced over at her place outside of town in the country. The p/u has 4wd but as we all know, nothing is much of a match for ice except a good set of chains. What got her stuck was that the rear wheels were just over the edge of the driveway and she could not get up and out even in 4Lo.

So fortunately there was a clear area where I could squeeze through between the front of her truck and a snow berm to a clear area to the side of the driveway. I put chains on the front tires, but the Blazer into 4Lo and got myself in place to the side of her. I then used a tow strap around her frame and attached it to my new recovery point mounted in my rear receiver. I took up the tension and started to pull as she, also in 4Lo was able to help.

Once we got her a bit forward, she could pull a bit more forward and then cut the tires to swing the front end of the truck down the driveway and we were free.

While we were putting all the gear away I realized that if I had had any vehicle much larger than my Blazer, I might not have been able to squeeze into where I needed to be to pull her out. I don't know if the Blazer itself would have had enough torque to get her out without her also using her truck's engine but she sure would not have been able to without me. I also had a second set of chains I could have put on but it was nice to see what only a set on the front could do.

And once again, I had occasion to learn just how torquey our little Blazers are when in 4Lo!

We all felt very pleased with ourselves at the end.

And perhaps more importantly, her dog had a lot of fun running around and hanging out with us in the snow. LOL

Old 02-12-2019, 11:13 AM
go chevy is on a distinguished road

LOVE IT..... Blazer to the rescue once again lol You are right, these little trucks pack a big punch in a smaller package!

Old 02-12-2019, 11:30 AM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Nice! That's why I like mine so much. Love that mid size suv platform

Old 02-12-2019, 11:41 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by cleburne red
Nice! That's why I like mine so much. Love that mid size suv platform
You know, I used to think of 4Runners as mid-sized but, at least for the latest generation of them, they are as large as the full-sized Tahoes! I can't think of a true body-on-frame mid-sized SUV that is currently being made. This keeps me coming back to keeping my Blazer on the road.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:49 AM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by christine_208
You know, I used to think of 4Runners as mid-sized but, at least for the latest generation of them, they are as large as the full-sized Tahoes! I can't think of a true body-on-frame mid-sized SUV that is currently being made. This keeps me coming back to keeping my Blazer on the road.
Third Gen runners were about the same size, but you're right about modern trucks. "mid size" now is what full size used to be. And full size is ginormous! Lol

Old 02-12-2019, 12:05 PM
CWBDDSPC is on a distinguished road

Good work!

Old 02-17-2019, 12:15 PM
Hess13x is on a distinguished road

My 96 4 door Jimmy is the go to vehicle for most recoveries. The size is perfect for getting in and out of tight places. It weighs about the same as most 1/2 ton full size trucks.