Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Roading (https://blazerforum.com/forum/off-roading-25/)
-   -   offroad lights w/clearance lights (what is this?) (https://blazerforum.com/forum/off-roading-25/offroad-lights-w-clearance-lights-what-38860/)

Spectreblazer 01-04-2010 07:09 PM

offroad lights w/clearance lights (what is this?)

hey guys got a problem im trying to figure out. i'm the one guy on the forum that has the clearance lights on his blazer and i want to set up some offroad lights. I've seen kiwis with the roof rack/light setup. im wondering if its possible to make them so they fold down so you can't see them from the front. also ive seen them with the ones incorporated in the brush guard. i do not have a brush guard though. which one works for visibility better, the ones in the brush guard or the ones on the roof rack. any ideas or suggestions. sorry i dont have any photos i got a video of the blazer with the lights though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQi7jzXAkFg

Biohazed 01-04-2010 08:44 PM

http://www.jcwhitney.com/jcwhitney/p...29&zmap=27082G

you need something like that as a basic design and go from there

Spectreblazer 01-04-2010 08:47 PM

link only takes me to main page. im sure you got something good though.

Spectreblazer 01-05-2010 04:42 PM

wondering if kc is a good brand to go with for these i've never done offroad lights before. anybody have any recommendations for lights and some idea for a bracket cause i want to be able to hide them. im plannin to do 2-3 i think 3 would look better. also im thinking of going to a junkyard and pullin a switch and panel for the blazer that had the fog light pkg. (mine does not) i was going to use this to make it look stock and run it off of the fog light switch. any input, ideas, pictures,

neo71665 01-05-2010 06:15 PM

You want offroad lights or clearance lights?
The offroad lights are for you to see and thats for offroad only. You try to run them on the street and you are asking for a ticket. The clearance lights are just for looks and not meant to light up anything. They came about for a night time visual of how big and wide a semi is and not required on anything smaller.

If you want offroad lights that will fold down CARR makes a light bar that rotates. I have one that I aint put on yet because a motor rebuild has eaten the cash I had saved for some good offroad lights.

http://www.carr.com/store/carrdeluxerota.asp

Spectreblazer 01-05-2010 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by neo71665 (Post 283474)
You want offroad lights or clearance lights?

If you want offroad lights that will fold down CARR makes a light bar that rotates. I have one that I aint put on yet because a motor rebuild has eaten the cash I had saved for some good offroad lights.

http://www.carr.com/store/carrdeluxerota.asp

thanks for the link, i have clearance lights on it already that video is my blazer. i just want to be able to fold the offroad lights for just everyday driving cause i think it looks better. i dont know how it would look having them up all the time with my clearance lights so thats why im looking at something that will fold down. does this attach directly to the luggage rack then?. are you looking to sell?

Spectreblazer 01-05-2010 09:11 PM

anybody have any good ideas for a bracket to make up i know kiwi did one awile back. he also had 2 fog light switches (where did he get those) i cant move the rack ahead because i have the clearance lights. if i can make a bracket up or anyone got any ideas ill do a how to on these offroad lights

ABN31B 01-05-2010 10:23 PM

if you want something FIXED that will come down for daily driving... just get a 12 volt lighter plug spot light and hose clamp it to the up-right setion of you cargo rack... sounds like you dont plan to use it much, and dont want it up when you are not using it.... hell, get 1 for each side and you will get basically the same effect... nnot the best answer ever, but it covers all the bases :icon_shrug:

or swipe the forward most rail of an older style (92-99) explorer (the 2 bar style). mount that bad boy as far forward on you roof as you can stand it to be, mount your lights to the bar with disconnects in the wire behind the lights. either fit the center bar with a disconnect, or mount the lights with wings nuts and pull either the bar w/ lights or just the lights using the wire disconnects.

be creative. hell you could cut a pice of pvc pice to fit in the little opening in the rack uprights, fit caps over each end of the pipe tso it is held in place, and mount your lights to that. wont be pretty, but again, bases covered.

OR look at pics of truck WITH lights. see if you like the look. copy. if not, dont bother. mount the lights lower (like on you A pillars Jeep style, or on the side mirrors....) get a spot light like a cop car.... etc.

as for the toggle switches.... they come with the lights.... if you want a second fog light... go get one from a junk yard, and cut your light switch panel to fit it.

Spectreblazer 01-06-2010 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by ABN31B (Post 283585)
if you want something FIXED that will come down for daily driving... just get a 12 volt lighter plug spot light and hose clamp it to the up-right setion of you cargo rack... sounds like you dont plan to use it much, and dont want it up when you are not using it.... hell, get 1 for each side and you will get basically the same effect... nnot the best answer ever, but it covers all the bases :icon_shrug:

or swipe the forward most rail of an older style (92-99) explorer (the 2 bar style). mount that bad boy as far forward on you roof as you can stand it to be, mount your lights to the bar with disconnects in the wire behind the lights. either fit the center bar with a disconnect, or mount the lights with wings nuts and pull either the bar w/ lights or just the lights using the wire disconnects.

be creative. hell you could cut a pice of pvc pice to fit in the little opening in the rack uprights, fit caps over each end of the pipe tso it is held in place, and mount your lights to that. wont be pretty, but again, bases covered.

OR look at pics of truck WITH lights. see if you like the look. copy. if not, dont bother. mount the lights lower (like on you A pillars Jeep style, or on the side mirrors....) get a spot light like a cop car.... etc.

as for the toggle switches.... they come with the lights.... if you want a second fog light... go get one from a junk yard, and cut your light switch panel to fit it.

thanks for the input. i want to be able to leave them up most of the time but be able to fold down with the clearance lights. the guys from gave me a few ideas so ill come up with something im going to make a plug in for the roof so it is possible to take it off. also im gonna make a longer harness that plugs into the same connector so i can move the lights all the way to the back spin them around and plug them in. this way i can spot in the back or whatever. will a fog light switch out of a different blazer work. i dont have one and im trying to make the interior look stock
thanks

Spectreblazer 01-06-2010 07:59 PM

got another question that pertains to this. im looking at getting 4 130watt lights. my question is am i going to be able to run it off of 1switch (im thinking of using a factory fog light switch out of a junker) or this gonna be to much for 1 to handle. i know there is going to have to be at least 1 relay maybe 2