Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Roading (https://blazerforum.com/forum/off-roading-25/)
-   -   Offroading in a stock blazer? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/off-roading-25/offroading-stock-blazer-75637/)

BigBlackBlazer 12-06-2012 07:22 PM

Offroading in a stock blazer?

Hey, I am 17 and just bought a 2002 4 door, 4wd blazer. I want to go offroading, but Ive just got some on/off road goodyear wrangler rt/s tires, and I'm not about to drop $800 for better ones. My truck can handle flat muddy service roads just fine, but I want to know if any of you guys have ever gone through thick mud with cheap tires in a blazer, or any other truck for that matter (pictures would be cool).

abig84 12-06-2012 07:56 PM

best thing you can do is bring some friends with you. even lifted trucks on 44inch tires get stuck.

heres a old video i had of my very first s10 blazer offroading.

Blazin00LT 12-06-2012 08:01 PM

I have the same exact tires and they SUCK, be it on damp asphalt, dirt, or the dry. There are many better choices out there then the good-for-a-years. I can't wait till I get rid of mine. And the RT/s is a highway tire, yet gm listed them as a offroad upgrade. :icon_lolsign:

Joshs4x4 12-06-2012 09:31 PM

I hate those tires they suck lol

95offroadhopeful 12-06-2012 09:42 PM

BigBlackBlazer, welcome to the wonderful world of blazers!

I'm new to them myself when it comes to off-road stuff but I can tell you that a good pair of true off-road AT tiers will make a big difference. I have a 1995 4 door myself without ATs, just street tires that will slip on wet grass. However, when the weather isn't bad I've gotten far without any special tires (although I would love to have some). If you want proof of what the Blazer can do just search this wed site for stories and pics.

In deep mud with crappy tires... good luck on your own. I've made the ground bald (no grass just mudd) spinning my wheels with no forward movement. Didn't even dig myself a hole, just sat there like a grade 8 chain was holding me in-place! lol

BigBlackBlazer 12-07-2012 02:19 PM

Yeah, I know my tires suck compared to BFG mud tires. I was just wondering what you can do with cheap tires and good technique, and maybe a friend on standby with a tow strap. To be honest, half of it is just wanting to get my truck covered in mud, but I also want to be able to have fun with my 4x4 on muddy days.

cleburne red 12-07-2012 03:12 PM

Stock, they don't have a ton of ground clearance, either. So watch your lines, and don't get high centered on something. I've rubbed the belly a few times going over rises. Having a 4-door just makes it worse!

Diaita 12-07-2012 04:43 PM

momentum is about your only chance with low traction. And a good tow strap with a capable truck on the other end. :) Stay out of the ruts.

abig84 12-08-2012 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Diaita (Post 555446)
momentum is about your only chance with low traction. And a good tow strap with a capable truck on the other end. :) Stay out of the ruts.

pretty much.

that video i posted that thing had some half bald car tires on it and as long as it was kinda flat i did ok

DGurns11 12-09-2012 12:11 PM

If you want to get stuck, stock is not a bad way to go. I recently did it with a buddy of mine which I uploaded a few pictures of the aftermath, but it was a small mud pit that most people shy away from at my friends barn. Few beers deep and some encouragement we got about 6 feet of the way in an 8 foot long bog. Luckily there was a chevy 2500 and 50,000 lb. tow strap on stand-by, some B ripped us right out. :icon_rally: