Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

Winch set-up advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 11:18 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough
Question Winch set-up advice

So I've been looking into my options for installing a winch on my 1999 Blazer.

I am not a dedicated off-roader, i.e. I don't purposely go off-roading for off-roading's sake, but rather I do take my Blazer hunting and fishing in the woods and mountains of North Idaho where a person could slip off a road into a ditch and get stuck or get high-centered on some snow that is deeper than expected.

With that in mind, I'd like advice on winch set-up selection and how to set up the truck for this.

First off, what size winch: I've read that typically you want a winch with a maximum pulling force of about 1.5 GVWR. Is this recommendation only appropriate for those doing more extreme off-roading and for me can I get a smaller winch, perhaps even a portable 4000 lb winch? For example I found this "winch in a box" portable winch from Superwinch: https://superwinch.com/collections/s...rtable-winches

Or, is it that no matter what you are doing is there no such thing as being "only kind of stuck"? (Like being only sort-of pregnant.) If so, if you are to get a winch, is the only way to go get one rated at 1.5 GVWR?

Secondly, I noticed that the maximum current draw for many winches is very high, getting up close to the the value of the CCA rating on the battery. What have any of you done to modify your charging/electrical system to accommodate the installation of a winch on your Blazer?

Thanks!

Old 12-10-2017, 03:08 PM
Starting Member
Lefet is on a distinguished road

Following......

Old 12-10-2017, 03:38 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

I installed an Ad244 alt and did the big 3 upgrade to my wiring. works like a champ. Enought to run light bar , amplifier and winch

Old 12-10-2017, 05:03 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by newguy
I installed an Ad244 alt and did the big 3 upgrade to my wiring. works like a champ. Enought to run light bar , amplifier and winch
Whats the "big 3 upgrade"?

Old 12-10-2017, 06:50 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

I'll add to use a winch no less the 2x gvwr and use the best battery you can afford.

A winch is something you really don't want to scrimp on when you are out in the woods with no help around.

Old 12-10-2017, 07:33 PM
chevyriders is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by AJBert
I'll add to use a winch no less the 2x gvwr
This is the rule of thumb I've always heard as well.

Originally Posted by Lefet
Whats the "big 3 upgrade"?
Replacing the 3 major wires in the electrical system with larger gauge wire. the power wire from the alternator to the battery positive, the engine block to a ground, and the battery negative to ground

Last edited by chevyriders; 12-10-2017 at 08:08 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:12 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by newguy
So I had to look up the "ad244" alternator and that is one off of a full size truck, right?

I found this write-up at a sister forum about the ad244 alternator. Is this what you did?
How To: High Output AD244 Alternator for ~$80 - S-10 Forum

I recently replaced my battery with an Interstae MTP-75 700 CCA battery. Would this do?

Old 12-11-2017, 12:56 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough
Old 12-11-2017, 11:01 AM
BF Veteran

This is great advice. Thanks!

Old 12-11-2017, 07:35 PM
Starting Member

Great thread with loads of information. Much like building on a solid foundation. So many important "first steps", for a new guy like me are critical. There's nothing worse than doing something and then having to go back and add or re-do. The articles were a great addition, the one would have been REALLY great if the pictures showed up. This too would have been better if I knew how to multi quote, could've given proper credit where due.

Quick Reply: Winch set-up advice