Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Roading (https://blazerforum.com/forum/off-roading-25/)
-   -   RWD Off roading? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/off-roading-25/rwd-off-roading-73269/)

fletch125 08-25-2012 09:47 PM

RWD Off roading?

So i have a 2002 chevy blazer 4door...but sadly its a dang rwd... Any experiences with off roading in a rwd? I mean cmon v6 4.3litre? Its got some power but what can this take? Im not sure about the rear differential though....does anyone with a similar model know if it has a LSD like most rwd jeeps? Any input it appreciated

xgiovannix12 08-25-2012 10:23 PM

all blazers are rwd Are you 4x4 or 2WD?

rexmburns 08-25-2012 11:01 PM

Can't really say I have ever seen a fwd offroad vehicle before!! To know if you have"LSD" you need to look up the rpo codes in the glove box and if you see g80 you do and if you don't well then you don't! As for the motor its really not so much about horsepower as it is about knowing how to drive your truck. I go almost everywhere in 2wd without issue and yes I take it some sort of offroad almost everyday. Grab yourself a couple beers (if your old enough) and start reading on this forum you will learn alot and be surprised where we take our trucks.

abig84 08-26-2012 09:34 AM

4.3 is perfect for these vehicles. im even running 33 inch tires and have no problem. after offroading fullsize trucks for years i love the s10. its nice only using a half tank of gas or less after 8 hours of offroading instead of the fullsize where its a full tank or more. ive had to leave a few times due to almost running out of gas

BillyTheBlazer 08-26-2012 10:28 AM

2 wheel drive is way more fun! ... At first lol. I only use my 4x4 if I have to

Rottidog 08-26-2012 12:17 PM

Sure you can go off road with a 2wd. A lot of it is skill, tires, suspension, having a guide/spotter. Like it's been said, it is a lot of fun slipping into corners & using more of your skill & less machine to get places.
Just have a competent friend with 4wd along.

Jamaroon 08-26-2012 04:02 PM

I've done a lot of wheeling just in 2wd, get a real locker in the back and you'll be surprised how well you will actually do.

FsTFwRd 09-05-2012 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jamaroon (Post 537315)
I've done a lot of wheeling just in 2wd, get a real locker in the back and you'll be surprised how well you will actually do.

I agree, a rear locker will do well alone. In thick mud however, clearance and a 4 wheels will be needed.

abig84 09-05-2012 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jamaroon (Post 537315)

i wonder if the 2wds are lighter or something in the front. i busted my transfercase and lost front drive and i couldnt move even with the welded rear axle and boggers, any kinda incline i was at a dead stop, was even hard to get going.

Jamaroon 09-05-2012 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by FsTFwRd (Post 538984)
I agree, a rear locker will do well alone. In thick mud however, clearance and a 4 wheels will be needed.

Yeah, mud is a pain, I don't do much mud wheeling.

Originally Posted by abig84 (Post 539018)
i wonder if the 2wds are lighter or something in the front. i busted my transfercase and lost front drive and i couldnt move even with the welded rear axle and boggers, any kinda incline i was at a dead stop, was even hard to get going.

Mines 4x4, I wonder if something was so messed up in the transfer case it was causing resistance. I drive around in 2wd no problems, Blaz has broken a couple driveshafts and had no problem in 2wd other than that he didn't have the 4x4 when he needed it.