Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

Sitting at the tire store...

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 01:27 PM
ceanern is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Sitting at the tire store...

haha. I know how that is. Almost had myself ina similar perdictamit(sp) And I took the shallow part of the hole. got about halfway through and it was muddier on the side than I though. And of course only 4x4 on the trail. haha Luckly powered through it by slamming it in reverse then back in drive when I started slowing down while backing up. Did this about 3 times and managed to pull through with out getting stuck thank god.

Old 09-14-2006, 01:44 PM
flowmasta is an unknown quantity at this point

yea....i think u guys are crazy......with fairly stock equipment trying to tackle that deep of a mudhole, i definitly wouldnt advise it....you guys got a deathwish for your blazers? [sm=badidea.gif]

Old 09-14-2006, 11:28 PM

That is why there isn't a payment on it any more. that way if something goes bad, I can go take a loan out on it and fix it up with aftermarket stuff if available. Just my wife don't know this yet.

Old 09-15-2006, 12:57 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: tommyd

I gotta get a wench or a couple of ****** blocks and some rope. Something to prevent my dumbass from getting stuck again!
Having the equipment to pull your dumbass out won't prevent you from getting stuck agian.

Mud tires, and a rear locker will make a huge difference.

Paddlegirl,
I highly recommend that you get a rear tow point and pull from the back of the truck from now on. The weight over the front tires helps tremendously with traction, plus the weight of the towee on the back axle helps that axle with traction. The way you were set up, behind him, pulling from the front bumper took all the weight off the back axle and loaded up the front, which was in the muck. Just a little tip for next time.

Old 09-15-2006, 05:36 AM
tommyd is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with hanr it will prevent me from getting stuck so bad I have to call someone to pull us both out. I was also very nervous while pulling paddle_grl out, we had to pull her out using the ball and I've seen ***** break before, not good very dangerous.

As for the mud tires and rear locker already got the tires just need a locker.

And for flowmasta, these things can handle alot more than you might think, I've taken water up to the windsheild and as long as you go through it quick enough to not suck too much into the air cleaner your fine. We decided to call it quits before I could show paddle_grl the fun parts of the trails, aka the sand and the swamp that I was planning on driving through, well at least part way through.

Old 09-15-2006, 10:00 AM

definately is fun. taken these off-road. Someone needs to work on a snorkle fab for the blazer. hehe.

Old 09-15-2006, 01:07 PM
Cow Killer is an unknown quantity at this point

i been thinking up a snorkel, just dont want to cut up my fenders or hood yet. and hell, i still got 2 years of payments left.

also on the towpoints, the factory front hooks on these vehicles are weak, i have broken 3 of them off. i am working on making a 2 inch receiver tube that can slide into the framerails where the hooks mount, that way i can hang d-rings from there, and have a STRONG tow point. also i have heard of people breaking front axle parts by pulling with the front end, all the weight pulling down on the ifs, just snaps it.

Old 09-16-2006, 09:01 PM
BF Veteran
user 1016 has a spectacular aura aboutuser 1016 has a spectacular aura about

wow I missed a lot of conversation on this topic....first of all.....I was never going to go through that puddle....(I was supposed to be the safe one) and second of all....it was just the bead...17 dollars and I am driving around.....I am going to have my oil change guy look at the underneath.....maybe I am just being wierd...but it just dosen't feel right yet....(you get nervous when you have already replaced one *** end)........I agree 100% with you Tim....I do need a rear tow hook....this was the first time I have ever gotten that stuck...I tend to be more careful...but I didn't intend to rest my front axle on the mud pile...ha ha ha ha....lessons learned right??? I think my new plan of action is to get this truck through to next year...(I will have my loan down enough to make some money on it) possibly thinking spring...and then get possible a zr2..or other suck "stock off roaders" get myself a 4 inch lift..and some tires...(maybe just tires....who knows) make sure I have excellent tow hooks on the front and back and then get a little more serious with my off roading capabilities...and just stick with the little mud puddles until then!!! ha ha ha!! yes we were lucky enough to have Tom's friends to pull us out...(I still had a few tricks up my sleeve of how to get myself out) and I would do it again in a heart beat!! it was the most fun I had had in a while....and I wish I could have messed around more.....but I didn't feel so comfortable continuing on with no spare tire....when I was in the Upper Peninsula....I used to carry an extra spare with me....as the slate rock and nature of the terrain warranted it....I had actualy gone through two tires before...you guys all should have been there....

gota a call gotta go

Old 09-17-2006, 03:13 AM

I'm not sure. I've seen some zr2's and as i'm driving by/them driving by my blazer seems to sit about the same height if not exactly the same. only difference I have seen is the one i happened to peer in had the auto 4x4 button. That mine doesn't have. I'm hoping this spring possibly over the winter I will have a new vehicle for the wife. And the project blazer will be underway.