Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Roading (https://blazerforum.com/forum/off-roading-25/)
-   -   What weight? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/off-roading-25/what-weight-77727/)

Mrthelaxer 03-07-2013 07:27 PM

What weight?

so i live in Chicago and as you may or may not know we receive snow...lots of it, so compared to other SUV's my blazer is pretty light, like my dads yukon xl is a tank compared to it, so question is, does adding weight in the back, like a new utility box i made, help push the back down and get better traction, or does it just ruin performance and handling

Twip 03-07-2013 10:49 PM

it might help a little bit, but remember, ice is hard and more weight is not going to help. if anything, added weight on ice with hurt you. you will end up with more inertia if you start to slid and then it will take longer to stop.

xgiovannix12 03-07-2013 11:04 PM

IT helps in one way and hurts you the other way. Just like Twip explained.

I find these trucks do well in snow... Well all of mine did. I Drive my blazer thru 2 ft of snow with no issues.

richphotos 03-08-2013 03:27 PM

You dont need to add any weight to get through the snow, like Gio said. I live in MN, and have had no problems in 1-2 feet of snow.

El_Beautor 03-08-2013 03:43 PM

I agree that you don't need more weight. Extra weight in the back may give you slightly more traction when accelerating in 2wd but it's going to hurt you when steering and braking. It won't really do anything for driving when in 4wd at all. The best thing you can do for snow driving is invest in a decent of snow tires. All-seasons are great if you live in California, but anywhere that it gets cold and snowy you definitely need to consider investing in some snow tires.

Here's a lighter take on winter driving and snow tires. This guy is Canadian, but the rant applies to anywhere that it snows:

rexazz2 03-08-2013 05:54 PM

EB :icon_special:

My wifes car has 4 very aggresive Hercules Snow tires on it and she can not understand why everyone else has issues driving in the snow LOL
I swear her car will climb a tree with those tires on

We have been hit with several very heavy wet snow falls and I have just left it on the roof
I could feel the weight up there but dont feel it added any traction
I got some new tires going on the Blazer tommorrow

Neb15 03-08-2013 10:49 PM

Im making do with some crappy all seasons this winter and found a concrete pad in the back helped a bit in the snow/slush. Before couldnt get around without 4x4 on an inch of snow. I dont think it hurts performance much, consider many guys roll around with large sub boxes and as you mentioned tool boxes. That being said nothing compares to good tires. For snow and not as much cold and ice Mud+Snow tires can do the job, but below -10ish they turn to hockey pucks like all other tires, and only winters wont.

Mrthelaxer 03-09-2013 06:53 PM

great, i like the new tool box but i deff wont try intentionlly loading it with weight now, any suggestions as to good, 265/70/15 or 31/10/15 inch tires for snow and mud that are worth it and decently priced?

1sttimejimmyowner 03-09-2013 07:20 PM

Well depending on where you live winter should be turning to spring soon so I wouldnt worry about it.if you made this far without it you should be set to go.Where I live if we get 1-2 ft snow fall the roads are cleaned off to bare pavement in 2 days or less.

Hanr3 03-13-2013 08:53 PM

Trucks fine. Sounds more like you need better tires.