Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Roading (https://blazerforum.com/forum/off-roading-25/)
-   -   Winch Mount? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/off-roading-25/winch-mount-71344/)

Old Skool Soldier 06-10-2012 01:30 PM

Winch Mount?

Hey all, OSS here;

I was in the process of ordering a Synergy winch mount, but a week after I bought it, he emailed me and told me Off-road direct is no longer making them at this time. I just picked up a winch too. I don't have access to a welder so I can't make one...Any ideas?

-OSS

abig84 06-10-2012 02:11 PM

you cant put one on that bumper you have. looks like its set up for one perfect for one.

50lb_cat 06-10-2012 02:21 PM

Find a local machine shop and see if they can make one for you. From time to time I get small requests like that. The last one I did I charged the guy 40 bucks, for 10 bucks of material and a half hour of my time.

blaz 06-10-2012 05:01 PM

Everything that is welded on that mount could be bolted together instead. Will it take longer? Yes. Can it be done? Yes.

Time is money so it may be worth while paying someone to weld it. Also if you have all the parts cut and fitted it will cost you way less @ a fabricator/welder.

Rottidog 06-10-2012 05:32 PM

Here we have technical schools with welding shops in them. I know the one I went to does a lot of customer welding, fabrication etc & all they charge for are materials & a small shop charge for gasses, welding consumables etc. It is afterall helping teach the student/s working on whatever different ways of welding, fabricating something that isn't in a perfect atmosphere like they're in, more a real world thing. All the work is checked by the instructor &/or an advanced student.

neo71665 06-10-2012 09:07 PM

Lucky us ORD got overloaded with s-series products so instead of growing to meet demand they dropped us.

If I had a 2nd gen it wouldn't take 15 minutes to design a plate that bolts to the bottom of the frame rails. I'd mail you the paper template to carry to a machine shop and have them plasma torch it out. Shouldn't be over $20 material (local shop that would be total). I've found out its cheaper for me to design in cardboard and let them cut it on the cnc plasma table vs me buying steel and freehanding it with a torch. I can even ask them to bevel it and its ready to be welded after a quick sandblast.

Rottidog 06-10-2012 09:38 PM

That's cool & the bevel tells me they care about proper welding techniques - weld shape, penetration, cap etc. A bevel for 1/4 is small though depending on the weld style TIG vs MIG. A larger bevel or any at all would be for TIG, with MIG a 1/16" gap is all that's needed for a decent welder with even solid wire .035 - .045 & the right shielding gas & position. MIG set up with a Lincoln Outer Shield style (tube like a flux core but not flux core) with the right gas will weld circles around a solid wire (think 70,000lbs tensile strength). Though a solid wire will be fine for 1/4" expecially if it's welded both sides.

Old Skool Soldier 06-13-2012 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by abig84 (Post 523941)
you cant put one on that bumper you have. looks like its set up for one perfect for one.

Only problem with my bushguard, is I've pulled a few people out with it, so it doesnt sit flush anymore. I'd be afraid of it bending or something, even though she's bolted to the frame. If anyone has the skills and knowledge to design a mount for me, don't hesitate! I can paypal some dollars for the shipping of the template. My gf's sister lives in Calgary as an apprentice welder, she could do the work for me :)

-OSS

50lb_cat 06-13-2012 03:04 PM

What winch do you have and where are you wanting to mount it?

PaulO2288 06-13-2012 06:30 PM

I would ditch the brush guard, Get a front hitch and get a cradle mount for the hitch and you can slide it into the receiver with a hitch pin, Plug it in and rock and roll when you want