Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Roading (https://blazerforum.com/forum/off-roading-25/)
-   -   would it be ok if...... (https://blazerforum.com/forum/off-roading-25/would-ok-if-31017/)

joe_zish 05-27-2009 10:08 PM

would it be ok if......

i took my stock '97 blazer w/4wd off roading?

mech cb 05-27-2009 10:15 PM

Only if you took pics. lol

Really though, have you been wheelin before? As long as all your fluids are good(diffs, transfer case) and everything is in shape, your truck can handle it. If you've never been, you may want to take a buddy that has with you just for your first time. And if you think there will be mud, take a second truck. Blazers don't seem to get along with mudholes very often. lol!

bobnasty 05-27-2009 10:18 PM

x2 on the buddy system and mud. Be careful and remember its your car don't do anything that your not comfortable doing.

mech cb 05-27-2009 10:22 PM

Oh yea, if you DO hit mud-be sure to pull off your wheels and clean your brakes. I had to even take off my rotors cause mud got built up behind them and was clogging my e-brake.

ABN31B 05-28-2009 12:58 AM

**edit** oh it follows the title. I'm dumb. anyway...
That would depend on your def of off roading. in addition to staying out of strange mud, and bringing a buddy... carry a 5k+ tow strap, make sure your buddy is in the form of a vehicle that can pull you NOT a drunk a-hole in the passenger side, and for God's sake check the depth of water BEFORE fording it (poke at it with a stick and steer clear of deep spots/ruts). Don't believe me? Search for the thread "U and Your Ride".

As far as tearing up some fire breaks or softer dirt roads/light sand/gravel/mud, give her hell! Just take pics or it never happened :p

Yooper 05-28-2009 03:45 AM

Off roading is all about experience. It is all about which line you take through the holes. I am a firm believer of the buddy system when it comes to off roading, because even the most experienced driver can get stuck. After a friend of mine and I spent 5 hours getting a S10 pickup unstuck with nothing but a high lift jack I will always have recovery assets available. Just don't go getting both vehucles stuck.

Sisk 05-28-2009 06:01 AM

x2 on the experience....

I'm new to the whole off roading life, I just bought my first truck a few weeks ago. I took it offroading for the first time a few days after getting it. I didn't go anywhere back in the woods, or anywhere with large puddles...I just kept it to a small mud pit to satisfy my craving for a mud covered truck lol.
It was good, it gave me a good feel for the offroading capabilities of my truck, and also how it handles. I'll learn more as I take it out more, but it's best to start small and work your way up from there...especially if you're new to the life.

Bottom line..don't go anywhere you're not comfortable taking it, and get a feel for how the truck handles offroad first. It's also a good idea to read up on best practices for offroading like tire pressures and fluids and whatnot. There is A LOT of info here on the forum to help you with that though!

ghost 05-28-2009 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Yooper (Post 220718)
Just don't go getting both vehucles stuck.

I've seen that happen one too many times... Then it happened to me.... Sad day:o

joe_zish 05-31-2009 03:13 PM

thanks a ton everyone my buddy drives a wrangler so maybe we'll go together and tear it up. oh and dont worry i will get pics =)

mech cb 05-31-2009 03:37 PM

Wranglers are one of the best recovery trucks you can have-provided the jeep is healthy and has the proper tires of course!