Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Tint Tail Lights..Where, How, Why, When??

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 01:01 PM
Beginning Member
d0ntAsk is on a distinguished road
Default Tint Tail Lights..Where, How, Why, When??

I need to tint tail lights. I do a ton of work for people in my area that pay me for it and I keep getting people coming to me and offering to pay me to tint the tail lights. Is the tint a paint or a vinyl.. or.. I guess im lost.

Im loosing profit though guys and gals.. please help a brother out

tint, smoked, blacked out, blackout... Idk what the kids call it these days lol

and don't tell me to use the search bar, I have been and im struggling at it!

Old 10-11-2010, 01:27 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

First thing you need to do is check the laws in the state where you live. LOTS of places do not allow tinted tails.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:30 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

VHT niteshades. For a shiny tail-Spray on. Wetsand. Lots of clear coat. Buff.

For a 'smoked' look. Spray on one coat at a time and let dry. Without clear they are dull.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:43 PM
Banned
djerock is on a distinguished road

i do vinyl stickers here at the shop and this is where i buy the light tint from and some carbon fiber vinyl there cheap.. http://metrodecals.com/store/html/Products/Smoke-Out-Kits-6/index.html

Old 10-20-2010, 11:08 AM
Beginning Member

I dont think film will hold up to the weather here in Minnesota. So the vht nite shades spray is the way to go then?

Old 10-20-2010, 05:32 PM
Starting Member
FOGEL is on a distinguished road

beware when using VHT nightshade though, practice on some junky tail lights that dont matter first since its really easy to over coat them and make them completely black. Also make sure you wet sand them first with 2000 grit to get out the imperfections or them may crack. also some types of plastic cause the VHT to crack and look like crap.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:20 PM
Banned
djerock is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by d0ntAsk
I dont think film will hold up to the weather here in Minnesota. So the vht nite shades spray is the way to go then?
call and talk to them::: Phone: (888) 488-4695
Our business hours are Mon - Fri 10:00AM-6:00PM Eastern Time

Business Address:
MetroDecals.com
42400 Mound Rd.
Sterling Heights MI, 48314

they would know and i have done like 100's of them too and have had no prob. with them my self over the last 12yrs of doing this..

i would do the film over paint any day cause if you dont like it then you can peel it off (paint your PHUCT)

Last edited by djerock; 10-20-2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:31 AM
Beginning Member
scanlojs is on a distinguished road

this is about 5 coats of VHT nightshade on my jimmy. one time a cop was beside me at a red light and told me my lights wernt on ..lol. i said i think theres a problem with them and pulled into a parking lot!

Old 10-21-2010, 06:59 AM
Beginning Member

No offense Scanlojs.. but your the guy thats wrecking tinting tail lights for everyone!

5 Layers... why?..

What if someone re-ends you and claims they couldnt see your tail lights.? You will loose in the courts to this LoL

I'M thinking of just using this Tint Tail Lights Tutorial and going with the vht spray and sanding with 2000 grit like Fogel said.

How many layers you guys thinking..? I KNOW IT WONT BE 5 LOL

Last edited by d0ntAsk; 10-21-2010 at 07:01 AM.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:13 AM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey if these people who you do work for who want their lights tinted like millions of others have, LOL,,, I do custom painted taillights, look thru my photos, no tinting involved all paint and i havent had a NY tickets for them yet and have had plenty of police cars behind me.Its an easy thing to do to the lights if ya know how to sand , design, prime and paint..

Last edited by 2002XTREME; 10-21-2010 at 07:14 AM. Reason: My pic there is my taillight..

Quick Reply: Tint Tail Lights..Where, How, Why, When??