Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Paint, Body, & Interior (https://blazerforum.com/forum/paint-body-interior-39/)
-   -   Bedliner on rocker panels (https://blazerforum.com/forum/paint-body-interior-39/bedliner-rocker-panels-72050/)

tibby 07-07-2012 12:30 PM

Bedliner on rocker panels

Hey,

I had a question for the guys who have bedlinered their rocker panels. What is the best way to go about this. By that, I mean is it better to spray it on or roll it on? I bought a paint sprayer to go with my compressor, but rolling it on seems easier. What should I do?

warthogdriver 07-07-2012 01:22 PM

I wouldnt try it out of a gun at home...the only way i would spray it is the form in the can on the store shelf. The stuff in the quarts is thick like peanut butter. I have rolled and brushed it. The roller gives you a more consistant look..the brush will go on thicker though. Either way you will need a brush..the roller wont get everything. Also dont use a foam brush...wont hold up more then five minutes. Also dont get the roller kit at auto store....it is a rip. Go to home depot or similar and go to paint department and get a small foam roller kit. You will need several rollers and some gloves you dont want to keep.
other then that not to bad....mine has been on for several years...i am gonna freshen it up this summer...only because it faded...never chipped off....great stuff.

scoobytuff 07-07-2012 01:23 PM

I used aerosol cans on the rockers and fender flares of my Suburban. It was the Rustoleum stuff and it was tough. If I had it to do again I'd roll the majority of it on, what I could get to with a roller that is. I like the texture a roller gives better than the spray can. Nothing wrong with the spray can though, don't get me wrong.

jbw23 07-07-2012 03:19 PM

I would roll it on I used spray bed liner in the back and hate it, but my buddy herculined his entire jeep and it turned out really good and thicker

tibby 07-07-2012 03:22 PM

Okay, thanks for the suggestions! I wasn't sure how I would use the spray gun I bought and it not be a mess. I wasn't going to go with the rattle can. I was either going to spray it on with a spray gun and my compressor or roll it on. Looks like you guys say "roll it on" > "spray it on with compressor" so I think I'm going to take my spray gun back and goto Lowe's and get a roller kit.

Thanks for the help! It also seems like rolling it on is less wasteful and even a bit more precise.

50lb_cat 07-07-2012 04:12 PM

Have you looked at rexmburns truck? He used monstaliner, a roll on and it looks badass! I'm gonna do the same, as soon as the temp is below 100 lol.

rexmburns 07-07-2012 05:11 PM

Well thank you 50! Go with monstaliner its UV protected and won't fade to grey. Ebay is the best place to get it they sell it with free shipping on Ebay.

AJBert 07-07-2012 09:22 PM

I'll go the other way and say spray it on. I used RaptorLiner which came with the spray gun and couldn't be happier. It's been about three years now with no fading, chipping or peeling.

The spraying part was easy. The prep is where all the work is involved, and the most important part whether your roll or spray.

IMHO, I like the spray better as you end up with a more uniform appearance. I also don't end up with road rash if I accidently rub a bumper or flare when wearing shorts. There are some pics in my album of when I finished the job. I've had more than a few folks ask me where I got it done and how much it cost. Very easy to make it look like a "professional" did it.

rexmburns 07-07-2012 09:33 PM

Your right about the prep work being the hardest part! I think the raptorliner is the only company that sells the kit worth a gun tho. A regular spray gun won't work with bedliner since its so thick. I also have to agree about the texture being like sandpaper with alot of the bedliner companies however monstaliner is very textured but not rough and gritty. I can wash it with any sponge and not destroy it at all. You could easily rub your face on it and not get a scratch. The other down fall to spraying it is the over spray depending on what type of area you have to work in and the extra masking. Not saying its a bad way to go just a few extra things to think about. I'll try and get a pic up on Monday of how the texture looks on my truck.

richphotos 07-07-2012 11:39 PM

Well, on my bumpers, I just used the dupli color spray on bed liner, the rattle can, and its EXTREMELY tough. have not had a chip, or scratch in it, its been 3 months.