Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Paint, Body, & Interior (https://blazerforum.com/forum/paint-body-interior-39/)
-   -   Best Replacement Rear Bumper for 2001 (https://blazerforum.com/forum/paint-body-interior-39/best-replacement-rear-bumper-2001-a-96368/)

LesMyer 02-23-2018 11:23 AM

Best Replacement Rear Bumper for 2001

Lots of companies selling them. But which one is best value and fit for a 2001? Please advise if you have replaced yours in the past. Mine the paint started coming off the bottom this Winter. Apparently rust underneath the paint. Guess I would prefer to reuse my old plastic pads if possible.

chevyriders 02-23-2018 11:52 AM

Just my 2cents as a bodyman:

Best quality/fit will always come from OEM parts, however the price of a GM bumper compared to an aftermarket will be substantially higher.

N. Jensen 02-23-2018 05:12 PM

I've been on the lookout for a "nicer" bumper at the salvage yard.
Other than LMC, there's always the gently used route.

LesMyer 02-23-2018 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by chevyriders (Post 687167)
Just my 2cents as a bodyman:

Best quality/fit will always come from OEM parts, however the price of a GM bumper compared to an aftermarket will be substantially higher.

Yeah, that's what I'm struggling with. Price vs quality. How about this - any brands (or sources) to stay away from?

As far as used - all stuff in salvage yards is rusty junk around here.

Brand new neighbor across the street just backed into the rear drivers side door tonight - yay!! My driveway is sloped. Wife parked it on the street so was level for me to check the oil and I was actually doing that when he backed across the street into it. Some people are oblivious. At least he was nice.

chevyriders 02-23-2018 09:15 PM

I would say(as far as aftermarket goes) choose one that is CAPA certified. They may a little bit more expensive(still way cheaper than oem) , but they are actually held to some level of quality standards.

Fortunately, the way the rear bumpers are on our trucks, a slight difference in fit won't stick out like a sore thumb like it could on another panel(not that the gaps are very nice from the factory on these anyway lol)

My reccomendation, since the bumpers like to rot out on these, is make sure when it gets painted the inside of the bumper gets coated(at minimum) with epoxy, or other corrosion resistant sealer- and not just left with the e-coat that comes on it.

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear about the accident. Some people pay no attention. I hope it's not bad.

LesMyer 02-27-2018 07:54 AM

Thanks! CAPA certified it is. Guess that was the answer I was looking for. Best price - CAPA certified. Makes sense.

Damage was just a little dent in the LR door, but it's on a body line. $986.00. For some reason painting on the front door for color matching this time.

Last year was the RF door - same type of damage. While turning left out of my development across a busy road, person directly across from me decided to go same direction last minute without looking - hit me in the side after I came clear across the street.

Year before that It was front end damage from one of the Good Samaritans who stop in heavy slower traffic to let people turn right onto the road ahead of them from a side street. 4 lanes, right lane was backed up at a big intersection 1 block away. Left lane was clear and I was in it. Unfortunately the gal waiting did not want to turn right - she wanted to go completely across the street, which she proceeded to do. Obviously she couldn't seem me coming at 35 mph because the Good Samaritan was blocking her view. I hit the brakes but t-boned her in the left front fender as she drove out in front of me. Battery acid leaking everywhere and got splashed on my front when I hit - then I leaned against it waiting for the cops and ruined my favorite jeans. Tow truck driver picked up pieces of my grill off the street with battery acid on it and threw them in the back of my Blazer - ate a few spots in the carpet. The Good Samaritan drove away.

Here's the vehicle. I keep fighting to keep it looking good. Interior is just as nice. Big money in new engine and trans that I didn't expect when purchasing a few years ago. Gotta drive $12,000 out of it because no one is going to pay that for it (including insurance companies in a bigger wreck - that is what is scary). Got 30K miles so far. I figure if I can get another 30K out of it before it turns into a steaming pile of rust here in northern Indiana, I'll be happy. A year ago I flew down to Greeneville SC and bought a 2004 Avalanche that lived in west central Georgia all of it's life according to Car Fax. Body is really pristine underneath, even though the paint has some scratches. Had it Krown Rustproofed (a Canadian franchise) before driving it in the Winter slop. It's a spray it down inside and out with a special oil and repeat each year thing. Really is supposed to work. I hope the body on it will last for some years. Maybe I should go ahead and do the Blazer too. The bodymen will curse me if they ever have to work on it!

https://blazerforum.com/forum/attach...ine=1451925158

chevyriders 02-27-2018 09:55 AM

The blazer sure does look clean! Especially for a northern truck.
Blending the adjacent panel for color match is nessicary to do a quality job(unless it was a very small damage right in the middle of a panel) but 90% of the time blending is nessicary.

980$ Canadian is actually a pretty good deal for a dent repair and blending the front door, by the time everything is removed, painted, and reinstalled.

I have to admit, those oil coatings do a damn good job....But as a bodyman I would be cursing you if I had to work on the vehicle haha.

ohyeahjay 03-18-2018 06:02 PM

did you find a bumper yet? I see stylin trucks has one for just over $200.

LesMyer 03-19-2018 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by ohyeahjay (Post 688012)
did you find a bumper yet? I see stylin trucks has one for just over $200.

Hey thanks for the info, but I am holding out for a CAPA certified bumper. At least I'm not seeing the certification on the Stylin Trucks bumper....... Got it back from the bodyshop and got reimbursed by the guy who hit it, so that is good - but nothing done on the rear bumper. I had to dive in last weekend on a P0410 code that has set a couple of times now and the emissions readiness monitor would seldom complete for the secondary AIR system. Found the check valve attached to the right exhaust manifold was no longer checking exhaust and apparently the hot exhaust screwed up the A.I.R. pump and it locked. Spent Sunday afternoon getting dirty at the local pick and pull, but couldn't seem to find a secondary A.I.R. pump that works. 2001 is the single year for the parts I need. Ended up ordering all the stuff new - AC Delco off Ebay - ouch, but better than local prices!

LesMyer 09-11-2018 11:08 AM

19 Attachment(s)
Never could find a CAPA certified bumper. took a chance and ended up with the bumper sold by LMC, which I think was both inexpensive and wonderful! Very nice, tough, and scratch free powder coat as well as heavy construction (especially for Taiwan made). Came wrapped in foam inside a nice heavy box. No brand name. Perfect fit IMHO.

Wife recently had a construction truck run into her and damage the passenger door (yes, it was hit yet again - only the door, but this time the door had to be replaced), so when it was in the body shop for repairs I got them to paint the new bumper for $130. I think it turned out really nice! Much better than if I had painted it. Transferred all the plastic pieces from my old bumper. So total cost to me for the bumper was about $280.

Ready to take the Blazer too when we take Avalanche to Monroe, MI near Detroit to have the Krown rustproofing done next month. Try to save it a little longer. Hopefully the tailgate won't start rusting out around the lock very soon. Maybe I should take the inside cover off and spray it down good with the oily Krown rustproofing material I was given in an aerosol can last year.

Got to thinking.... with all the little damages on both sides and the front, I bet most of the vehicle has been repainted to color match that pretty red paint. Except for top and tailgate. I bet it's not easy to match, but I always did like that color.

Hmmm.. looks like I need to pop the plastic completely down on the right side of the bumper.