Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Paint, Body, & Interior (https://blazerforum.com/forum/paint-body-interior-39/)
-   -   Carpet from Junkyard - Cleaning? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/paint-body-interior-39/carpet-junkyard-cleaning-95090/)

Blazer_Man_Dan 08-05-2017 11:16 AM

Carpet from Junkyard - Cleaning?

So I was at a junkyard near me and found a 2001 4 door Blazer with the Trailblazer package in pretty good shape, so I pulled the door panels, trim pieces, seats (both front seats are electric and driver's has memory), and even decided to take the carpet. Now there's a couple issues I want to address before installation in my truck...

What's the best soap/cleaner to use for the carpet? I'll be getting a stiff brush and going to a car wash with a pressure spray before installing... if there's one near me lol. I've heard Dawn soap among other general cleaners available but those

What's the best cleaner to use for the door panels and leather seats? Also considering getting them reupholstered... rear seats have a hole towards the side and the drivers seat is well worn but not torn (yet)

Back to the carpet... Can I sew in a foot pad? There's a hole where the driver's heel rubbed. Recommendations here please? No clue where to start and hoping I have a friend that can sew haha.

A little background on my blazer and why I'm doing this. My 4 door LT has the light grey interior and a previous owner put cruddy carpet ON TOP OF the original carpeting... GLUED IT IN. needless to say the carpet is in terrible, frayed condition, the glue is failing, and the poorly cut edges drive me nuts. I love the 2 tone (dark grey and light grey) of the "new" pieces and the head rest stitching, plus it matches much of the interior that I'm not switching out... yet. My drivers seat is torn and missing some foam, my other seats are in decent condition, but the passenger seat is manual and the lever on the side broke off, so I like the idea of switching to electric.

TL;DR - just read the 2nd through 4th section. There's the main questions lol

blazen_red_4x4 08-05-2017 12:04 PM

I used a home carpet cleaner (with the handheld hose attachment) and the basic carpet cleaner detergent we have for it (which smells great btw :D) to clean the junkyard carpet I put in my 04. Converted from bucket to bench seat and needed a carpet without the holes for the center console in the middle. Worked great, just leave it out in the sun for a couple hours to dry it as much as possible before putting it in, plus having it nice and warm helps you bend and maneuver it into place.

abig84 08-06-2017 10:44 AM

i wonder if you can just pressure wash the carpet since its out of the truck. when i was a kid i detailed cars, any carpet that actually came out like the floor mats or trunk mat we sprayed cleaner on it then pressured washed it. always worked way better then scrubbing it

blazen_red_4x4 08-07-2017 07:25 PM

You could, just remember it's 16 year old carpet, if you use too much pressure it may end up shredding the carpet off the rubber mat it's sewn into lol

abig84 08-09-2017 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by blazen_red_4x4 (Post 679139)
You could, just remember it's 16 year old carpet, if you use too much pressure it may end up shredding the carpet off the rubber mat it's sewn into lol

yeah i guess i should have been more descriptive, keep it on a wide beam and keep a bit of distance. i bet with a good pressure washer you could cut one in half

blazen_red_4x4 08-10-2017 08:28 AM

lol okay just as long as you keep that in mind

davidrick 01-31-2018 11:35 AM

I think the best option to solve your problem is get a High power and smooth+best quality Carpet CLeaner . that will be the only helpful thing for you to have at this stage so do not waste time and do 1 time investment for Good quality carpet Cleaner

WilliamRay 06-08-2018 03:53 PM

Purple

I would suggest that you use purple power to clean the carpet. It does wonders on upholstery consider taking out your seats and spray your car down with purple Power. After you vacuum up the purple Power I would suggest spraying it down with just water rinsing the upholstery

Pat8987 08-01-2019 10:57 PM

At home Depot you can rent a rug Doctor, you can clean stuff really good with them

RodneyThomas 09-07-2020 07:43 AM

Thanks, but we have carpet cleaners near us to clean the rugs and upholstery related stuff.