Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Paint, Body, & Interior (https://blazerforum.com/forum/paint-body-interior-39/)
-   -   Chips (https://blazerforum.com/forum/paint-body-interior-39/chips-23734/)

tjwiens91@hotmail.co 10-01-2008 08:37 PM

Chips

My vehicle was run for a little while without mudflaps now i have chips in the paintbjob. Can i touch it up myself? or do i need to take it to a body shop?

WolfPack 10-01-2008 08:49 PM

RE: Chips

depends on the size of the chip....but I've never seen touch up paint look good...

tjwiens91@hotmail.co 10-01-2008 09:03 PM

all it is is just rock chips, and its in a place where people cant really see, but i know their there

WolfPack 10-01-2008 09:43 PM

The important thing would be to make sure the chips are not going to rust out. If the metal is exposed, you need to get some touch up paint/nail polish/silicone and cover the metal. Rust = bad.

If no one can see them, just get some touch up paint, or if you're not too concerned about the finish.

cpm0487 10-01-2008 09:59 PM

If you want to do this in a reasonably decent looking manner here is what i personally suggest...first find the paint code on your vehicle, that is if it's the factory paint. On a Blazer it should be in the glove box. It should say something like WA5111. All gm paint codes start with WA, then a series of 4 letters or numbers. You can then go to your local automotive paint supplier and have about a third of a pint of matching paint mixed. Your autobody supplier may or may not be able to put that paint in an aerosol spray can. The only kind of paint that can be put into aerosol by one of these places is Acrylic Enamel. This would give you a much better color match and finish than just grabbing a general shade of whatever color is semi-close to your vehicle and applying with a brush. If you want more scratch and chip resistance grab a can of chip guard. Chip guard goes on before your color, and all you need to do to apply is rough up the surface you're spraying it onto, but you only want to put this in places you an really see such as the bottoms of rockers and quarters. This will give you a tough finish that won't chip as easy as normal factory paint. You should be able to get out the door with all your supplies for somewhere around 25 to 30 bucks, depending on what your local autobody supplier is selling for.

WolfPack 10-01-2008 10:22 PM

Oh nice. I wasn't aware that a shop can fill an aerosol can for you. That would be amazing if I could get an an aerosol of victory red:D

2002XTREME 10-02-2008 07:11 AM

I have an aerosol can of victory red paint here at my house from when i painted taillights for a member here on the forum... I bought the paint at autozone..

WolfPack 10-02-2008 05:30 PM

Realllly? I'll have to look into that. Just because it's called Victory Red doesn't mean its GM's shade of red though right? Or is it like...autozone brand factory paint?

cpm0487 10-02-2008 10:38 PM

You can just generally count on anything from autozone not matching, haha. There about 40 different victory reds. Did you know there are about 250 shades of black? Yeah, it gets pretty crazy. Not all autobody suppliers fill spray cans though, you have to call around to different paint stores.If there weren't so many damn hazardous material fees for shipping the stuff i would probably mix some and have it canned for you guys, but it would be way more cost effective to have it done locally. PM me if you guys ever need any info on autobody, i got the connections, haha.