Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Coating over a (somewhat) rusty frame?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 04:33 AM
Starting Member
Badco is on a distinguished road
Default Coating over a (somewhat) rusty frame?

I was thinking of putting a few coats of rust-oleum on my frame. The vehicle has been in New England for most of what I reckon is it's whole life, and I brought it to Ohio earlier this year. Now my frame isn't terrible bad, but it's apparent that the years of salt have started to make it's way onto the frame. Would coating the frame stop the oxidization? Should I soak as much as I can in PB Blaster first?

Lifting the shell doesn't seem like anything I can do, but at the very least I would like to get the visible parts and perhaps anything I can reach with it jacked up.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:44 AM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

spraying with something like fluid film would probably be better

Old 07-10-2013, 04:51 AM
Starting Member

In place of the PB or rustoleum?

Old 07-10-2013, 09:28 AM
slcblazer is on a distinguished road

I would take a wire brush to it and get as much of the rust off as possible then coat it with the rustoleum then truck bed lining. Over do it and wont have to worry about it.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:17 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

RustSeal - Rust Prevention - Stop Rust Paint here ya go... amazing stuff.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:01 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

I would guess a 97 is some what rusty
Unless you are going to clean it up before painting / sealing you are likely doing more harm than good IMO
Fluid film will creep into all the nooks and crannies and slow/ stop the rust process

Old 07-10-2013, 03:50 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by rexazz2
I would guess a 97 is some what rusty
Unless you are going to clean it up before painting / sealing you are likely doing more harm than good IMO
Fluid film will creep into all the nooks and crannies and slow/ stop the rust process
What i posted does the same thing, but is better, they showcased it on trucks. It completely seals the rust to stop it from spreading. and you dont even have to clean off the rust that much, just with a stiff wire brush lightly. Its killer stuff.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:57 PM
Starting Member

I'll be looking into it soon, I have a to do list already... And some LED strips for blinkers coming in on Friday.

Rust Seal comes in so many colors... my frame would rot in half before I get around to choosing a color!

A pint would probably do me good right? 25 Sq feet should be plenty enough for the frame

Last edited by Badco; 07-10-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:03 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Badco
I'll be looking into it soon, I have a to do list already... And some LED strips for blinkers coming in on Friday.

Rust Seal comes in so many colors... my frame would rot in half before I get around to choosing a color!

A pint would probably do me good right? 25 Sq feet should be plenty enough for the frame
I think that should be enough, when I get it, I am going to get a gallon, because i want to coat just about ever surface under the truck, the floor pan under there, control arms ect.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:45 AM
DiffBuster is on a distinguished road

I am getting ready to do some minor body and frame repainting on my Blazer. I have never done anything like this before, so I have been doing a lot of digging around to learn as much as I can before I do it. What I have heard, repeatedly, from the guys that do body work is that the prep is very, very important. Removing any and all loose rust and debris is critical to a long lasting fix. Not grinding it down to bare metal, just removing all the loose stuff. Also, want to make sure you have a clean surface for the product to adhere to.

Quick Reply: Coating over a (somewhat) rusty frame?