Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

messy rust repair advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 07:16 AM
Banned
MuddBunny84 is on a distinguished road
Default messy rust repair advice

so a while back..a couple months ago...there was this nagging rust spot on my left side back quarter pannel...behind where the step is..so i stupidly let the ex bf try n ..."fix and texture coat it"...well he ha dthe wire wheel..and the texture spray apint...now..the problem..*which i had a pic ATM*...its been wire wheeled down to bare metal...but he neglected to clean it with any thing..just uesd a rag to wipe it off..and continued to spray paint over it...no...as i said...2 months ago..i can see the rust is seeping through the textured spray paint..and where he wire wheeled it...the factory paint..it curling..its a bloody mess and it sickens me to see it (he messed my truck all kinds of wtf but those are different issues)...any one ever deal with this before im at a loss or words here...but plz..advice!!! i need it! i'll get pics ASAP.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:47 PM
CNYCountryKidd is on a distinguished road

Ehh I had a big paint chip flake off my front fender and I just primered it cuz it was really cold out a while ago. I have since put my thumb through it (see album) and I keep painting over it. I need to bondo it really bad though..

Old 06-24-2010, 06:35 PM
Trip.. is on a distinguished road

Even if he had sprayed down the metal before priming, it wouldn't have made any difference. He didn't correctly remove the rust. Once rust starts it will not stop by just wire brushing it down and repainting...

You have to remove the rust completely or neutralize it with chemicals. If not it will continue to come back.

Grind all the crap off anywhere it is rusting or peeling, take it down to bare metal. If you have little pinholes of rust, go to a reputable parts store (Not autozone) and pick up a can of Permatex Rust Neutralizer. (It is in a spray can) You can spray this stuff over the rust and it will turn it black. Wait for it to dry, give it a light scuff with a red Scotchbright pad, prime it, light scuff again and paint it.

Watch some Youtube vids on the subject, it'll make you feel more comfortable with the procedure.

Good luck.