Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Paint, Body, & Interior (https://blazerforum.com/forum/paint-body-interior-39/)
-   -   engine paint options (https://blazerforum.com/forum/paint-body-interior-39/engine-paint-options-70083/)

warthogdriver 04-19-2012 11:31 AM

engine paint options

ok i searched and didnt find anything helpful for me.

what i want to know is what engine paint you guys have used in the past and what has held up the best.
i am not building a show queen but i want it to look good.

i have read several options...
  • rattle can high temp in both duplicolor and vht
  • tractor paint
  • eastwood brush on paint
  • and so on.....

i know several guys around here have recently been doing engine swaps and builds....what have you used??

last time i did an engine paint job was about 20 years ago....it held up but faded after a couple of years of only summer driving.

any help is appreciated....thanks.

warthogdriver 04-21-2012 03:29 PM

No takers??
Someone around here must have painted an engine or two
:D

warthogdriver 06-25-2012 07:00 PM

ok,
i hate to bump a sleeping zombie...but anyone?
i am looking at three options.
eastwood engine paint kit

Eastwood Engine Painting Kit
por-15 engine kit

ENGINE PAINTING KIT-POR-15 Inc.

and rattle can paint.

i did a rattle can engine job about 20 years ago...the paint held but faded after about a year. now granted i am not building a show car but still want something that looks good.

any ideas anyone?

tibby 06-25-2012 07:04 PM

I bought a can of this to paint my intake tube when it comes in tomorrow or Wednesday. It seems like a solid product for anything under the hood. Just sayin...

warthogdriver 06-25-2012 07:36 PM

Yeah...thats what i have used in the past.
Just wanted it to look good for awhile.
I know that painting the headers is a waste of time.
Like i said though...that was 20 years ago...i am sure paint has gotten better...its just been a long time and i wanted to know what is getting good results now.

warthogdriver 06-25-2012 07:37 PM

doubled down by accident

Rottidog 06-26-2012 12:05 PM

Is the engine going to be out & disassembled? A company next door does powder coating & they have a high temp. (1200F) powder coating that they use on headers.
Any color you want as long as it's black - ala Henry Ford lol

warthogdriver 06-26-2012 05:08 PM

the engine is on a stand right now...i have it assembled with the exception of upper intake.
and headers, pulleys and such.

i should have mentioned the budget factor is a player to...trying to get the job done to get my stang back on the road...ohhhh so close :D

nunya 06-26-2012 08:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just used that cheap spray Dupli-color stuff when I had the motor hanging to put in the Blazer (mainly for easier leak-watch, and I had the can in my toolbox)
Attachment 35130
It's not exactly been a huge time frame but hasn't burnt or flaked off yet and about all the prep I did was degreaser and pressure wash the day before. (and no leaks!)

neo71665 06-27-2012 08:44 AM

I use dupicolor and its held up pretty good for the last year. Rustoluem bbq paint on the headers and its still looking good.

Vht imho is crap and I will never waste money on it again.

As for ceramic coating. Its a spray on finish like paint. Or you can dip it in a vat. I use an airbrush for it so I don't have to have 80 gallon tank for full length headers. You then have to bake it like powdercoating. If you do the same with the bbq paint it holds up just as well. If eastwoods carries something you can find it elsewhere without their huge mark up.