Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

completely painting hood

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 12:02 AM
Beginning Member
Thrakhath is on a distinguished road
Default completely painting hood

Last year, somehow I got acid on my hood. I'm guessing an 18-wheeler sprayed it on my hood. At any rate, I didn't notice it until I realized the paint was bubbling bad. I ended up having to bondo a few holes in my hood in various places. That was my first attempt at body work, and I must say the end result looked very good, certainly acceptable enough.

The problem was, I had to drive my truck the next morning, so it only had overnight to set. The paint ended up checking and cracking pretty bad as a result, and now I have a small rust spot yet again on my hood. The spot that I sanded down a year ago is about half way up, and you can clearly tell where the work was done.

My question is, should I just go ahead and sand down the entire hood, should I sand down that same area and do a better paint job this time around, should I get a professional to do the work, or should I buy a wreck salvage hood in the same color?

I didn't mind the hours put into the job the last time around. It was actually pretty fun. I'm gonna have to replace my wheel bearings, my AC hose, cracked windshield, and new set of tires pretty soon, so I'd rather not spend 100s of dollars when I can do it myself for $100 tops.

Suggestions?

Old 04-26-2011, 11:52 AM
Mgiudice is on a distinguished road

I would go to a wrecking yard and try to find one. The yard i go to charges 35 dollars for a hood and all you have to do is loosen six bolts.