Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Paint, Body, & Interior (https://blazerforum.com/forum/paint-body-interior-39/)
-   -   first gen tail gate lock (https://blazerforum.com/forum/paint-body-interior-39/first-gen-tail-gate-lock-73537/)

richphotos 09-05-2012 05:20 PM

first gen tail gate lock

Well, I got a lock from the scrap yard, had the key in it, and worked, but was tough to turn, so I took it apart so i could clean it up good and lube it. When I took it apart, I found out why it was turning hard. the plate that holds down the springs which push the pins down when the key is not in there had come off and the springs and the plate were wrapped around inside.
What I want to know is, is there a place where I can get those springs, and the plate that holds them down inside the tumbler?

I do not want to get a cheap replacement from napa or orielly. this is the factory lock, so if I can fix this, that would be wonderful.

tepideskimo 09-05-2012 06:17 PM

Check with a locksmith. A reputable locksmith that has an office should be able to get you the springs and might do the work or you.

richphotos 09-05-2012 06:52 PM

Perfect, Thanks, There is one pretty close that has a shop/store.

chris015 09-05-2012 08:20 PM

Ehh. i doubt you can. Could you post a pic of the internals? that'd be sweet as ive gone through 3 of em. Matter a fact i have a broken one that doesnt lock. If you need a spring and if i can find it il mail the spring to ya.

richphotos 09-05-2012 08:58 PM

there is like 5-6 tiny tiny springs in there, and a metal plate that holds them down, let me snap a photo real quick

richphotos 09-05-2012 09:16 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Okay, first you need to take this clip off the end of the lock
Attachment 33156

Once that is done, it will look like this, and that arm will come off
Attachment 33157

leaving it looking like this
Attachment 33158

Then the outer part with the spring on it slides off, which will expose the inside of the lock
Attachment 33159

locate this metal plate and carefully pry at the red arrows little at a time on each side to make sure you do not bend that cover to hell (as you can tell, the plate is destroyed on my lock, which is why the springs are messed up, all of it was wrapped around inside the lock, due to it not being lubed)

and under that there will be 6 little springs (I need that metal cover that holds down the springs along with the 6 springs)

Attachment 33160

and that is how you take apart one of these locks LOL

chris015 09-05-2012 09:29 PM

Ha cool......il look for it tomorrow and if i find it il contact ya.

richphotos 09-05-2012 09:38 PM

awesome bro, Thanks a lot!

tepideskimo 09-06-2012 10:17 AM

A locksmith will definitely have the springs. They are the tumbler springs and you can’t have a modern key lock without them. The strip of metal is fairly common as well in any modern lock. If the locksmith doesn’t have one exactly like yours then they should be able to create one for you pretty easily.

tepideskimo 09-06-2012 10:18 AM

You can also buy the springs at home depot in a "rekeying" kit but you are better off going to a locksmith.