Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Frame coating

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 10:08 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough
Default Frame coating

Now that i have my BL and SL my frame is very noticeable. I want to paint/coat it along with the rear end with something that will last. I used spray on rubberizing that was $10 a can but the rust is already showing through it in the spots i didnt get all the way down to bare steel. i also was dumb and dint prime it first. It also always looks like crap. I take it out on the trails often and it get dirty. The only way to get it to come clean is to scrub it since all the dirt gets stuck in it. After scrubbing it, it still looks bad. I want something that will clean fairly easy with just a hose.

Heres a few of my ideas. Feel free to suggest other things.
I was thinking about sanding it down again to bare steel. Then spraying a few good coats of primer then using some good heavy duty spray paint. That way it will be smooth and shouldnt hold too much dirt. Another idea was getting line-x sprayed on it. Im not sure how much it will cost though. I dont want to spend hundreds on the frame. My last idea was powder coating. Again i dont know how much it will cost. I was also wondering with powder coating does it have to bake at high temp? Would i have to pull the body or would everything be fine?

So if anyone has any input it would be great. Also if you have any price ranges for line-x and powder coating.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:14 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

well, you could always do it right and prep like you were supposed to and then do the spray on rubberized under coating OR
buy Herculiner like you are going to bedline the underside yourself, but DONT stir it up. let the particles settle to the bottom so you do no end up with a textured finish. then just paint on the smooth indestructable stuff (black or the color of your choosing) and BLAM durable and easy to clean! you will still have to do the prep work right though...

Old 06-15-2009, 10:23 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

hmm i like the hurculiner idea.
Yeah i will definitely do it right this time. I plan on buying an air powered angled die grinder which will go much faster then doing it by hand

Old 06-15-2009, 11:24 PM
Starting Member
Bigringtravis is on a distinguished road
Default you might laugh at this but...

I was told by a guy to spray foaming tire dressing under you fender wells and frame to keep the mud from really sticking hard.

So yeah, you have to scrub a bunch but, this really makes it easy to clean after going offroad.

As far as paint, I used a semi gloss Rust-o-leum and spray bed liner... Keep it sprayed down every season and before going off road with a foaming tire dressing and my junk stays ok looking.

My Blazer doesn't seem to have a lot of the rust/corrosion issues as some do - but, I thought my frame being unpainted was hideous!

I hope this helps you out.

Before...

After!!!

Notice the red coming through the undercoating in the top pick? I hit the inside fender wells with a rubberized bedliner - Wal-mart $10 or so. And what about those frame rails - UGH! Semi-Gloss black please.

What I noticed right off the bat was how much more the red popped. It really added a lot of curb appeal to the truck.

I hope this helps you out.

Last edited by Bigringtravis; 06-15-2009 at 11:29 PM. Reason: couldn't spell "through"
Old 06-16-2009, 05:10 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

basically you can use any liner, just dont stir it up or you will get the textured look. texture = crap sticks to it.... so again no stir, no texture

Old 06-17-2009, 12:19 AM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Spraying a can of Pam does wonders for easy cleanup.