Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Paint, Body, & Interior (https://blazerforum.com/forum/paint-body-interior-39/)
-   -   Hood replacement planning (https://blazerforum.com/forum/paint-body-interior-39/hood-replacement-planning-98080/)

TDS-MN 11-03-2018 07:20 AM

Hood replacement planning

Hey All,

I'm looking to swap hoods on my Blazer. I found a decent GMC hood at the salvage yard, that is nice and straight but in need of paint.
So my question is regarding the hinge mounting points. Seems as simple as 2 bolts up at the cowl area, but I don't see any way to adjust them if the hood panel needs alignment to equalize gaps after installation. The hinge part on the hood itself does not look adjustable either. I have not fit the new hood yet, still in the planning stages and need to find a decent price for painting. But I have a hard time believing that everything will align perfect come installation time. Hoping someone has been thru this before and can share some advice.
Thanks!

N. Jensen 11-06-2018 06:04 PM

More than likely, if you pulled the hood off a 2nd gen Jimmy/Sonoma/S15, it will fit just fine.
There are two bolts holding it on (some older models had bolt on hinges, too), then a wire for the under hood light, and tubing for windshield wash fluid nozzles to disconnect.
When adjusting the gaps on the fender sides, don't completely tighten then hinge bolts down all the way to allow some play. Be sure to check that the hood catch meets up properly with the hood latch. Once you get it lined up, then just tighten down.

I've been in the market for a GMC hood for a while now....always dented or wrong color. :icon_warped:

TDS-MN 11-07-2018 09:13 AM

Yes, it was difficult to find a straight one in the salvage yard. I did not set out for the GMC style specifically, but I have always liked the look a little more than the center ridge that my OE Blazer one had, and I was thrilled to find one that was straight and rust free, it was even black like I need, although the paint/clear is really cracked. Still shopping around for a good price on prep and paint, my first quote was well beyond what I was prepared to spend, and I have a different shop that my mechanic suggested I contact, need to do that yet.

I did not pull a new set of sprayers, and will probably go back to see if I can find a decent set. Saw so many hoods that were creased like mine, where they have opened too far back and folded the corners, although that could easily have happened after arrival at the yard.

Neither the one I pulled, not my current one have any shims or anything at the hinge points, so it seemed like there should be adjustability somewhere else, but you make it sound about as simple as it looks. My truck looks really straight and hood opening measures nearly perfectly square, so I will hope that once I drop the new one in, it will line up accordingly.

Online searching makes it look like the GMC style has been discontinued, so I wish you luck. I really wanted a small cowl but getting this one for only $40, it became my new direction. Thanks for the reply and confirmation of what I was thinking.

N. Jensen 11-07-2018 06:28 PM

I sold a ram air style hood, because I had to get it painted (a little pricey) and cut/install the window wash nozzles.
I ended up doubling my money, and have been checking the salvage yards a few times a month. I'm pretty picky, so anything that is chipped or dented doesn't make the cut.
Hope to see some pics.
And go Twins!

TDS-MN 11-08-2018 06:38 AM

Oh, I will get some pics once I get the project done. Not sure how soon I can make it come together. After the first quote, I was thinking maybe I need to learn to spray automotive paint myself, the shops cost was just too much, to pay out of pocket. I messed up my original hood by forgetting to latch the hood one weekend, and taking a drive. As soon as I started to pick up speed, up the hood came and bent back to hit the windshield and roof. Thankfully I did not do anything to the glass, or leave even a scratch anywhere else. But even after trying to bend it back some, it just does not close well, and looks bad.

You a Twins fan? I like baseball quite a bit, and there have been some good seasons, but the last couple have been kinda hard to watch, with some of the lineups we have put together.

TDS-MN 11-18-2018 06:18 AM

Aw F%$&, turns out my $40 hoof needs to be stripped back to metal, for new primer and paint. That puts the cost about equal to buying a steel cowl that is ready for paint according to the last quote I got. Now to decide if I finally DO get my long-wanted cowl, or if I strip it myself and learn to spray on ,my own. Just so much money. . . . :icon_rant: