Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Paint, Body, & Interior (https://blazerforum.com/forum/paint-body-interior-39/)
-   -   Interchangeability of guage clusters (https://blazerforum.com/forum/paint-body-interior-39/interchangeability-guage-clusters-96463/)

GreenBlazer2002 03-10-2018 07:09 PM

Interchangeability of guage clusters

I came across an 02 Blazer Extreme at the boneyard today. It has the same setup as mine as far as having the shifter on the floor, and same year model. But it had white face guages. I wanted to get the cluster but was unsure if it would work in mine. Some things, such as factory head units, are specifically programmed to work only with their original vehicles. Do gauge clusters fit into that category? I really want that cluster but if it's gonna be a big to-do then I won't bother.
Oh, and mine doesn't have that PRNDL readout on the cluster. Only an odometer display. If it makes any difference. Thanks!

christine_208 03-10-2018 11:19 PM

Have you checked the part numbers at an OEM parts supplier to see if they are different? Of course even with different part numbers, they could be compatible. Being components that receive data but not give any feedback to how the rest of the engine or vehicles runs, I would think that especially for the same year vehicles with the same running gear, they likely would swap.

N. Jensen 03-11-2018 01:39 AM

First thoughts: I was looking online at ordering some white faced or colored gauges. A lot of them appear to just attach over the existing gauge faces.
I would take the cluster out, pop the couple of plastic clips that hold the clear plastic and plastic border piece on, and look what you're dealing with.

I'm no expert, but with it being an Xtreme trim, it might be a stock item. I googled around a bit, and found both types of clusters you are referring to.

Final Word: I'd take Christine's advice, look up the part numbers.
Worse comes to worse, you can buy it, and if it doesn't work out, take the white face panel out and swap it on yours. Or sell it / return it to your salvage yard.
My local salvage yard will only return mechanical and electronic items, so this would apply. Not so sure about yours.
Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

GreenBlazer2002 03-11-2018 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by N. Jensen (Post 687701)
First thoughts: I was looking online at ordering some white faced or colored gauges. A lot of them appear to just attach over the existing gauge faces.
I would take the cluster out, pop the couple of plastic clips that hold the clear plastic and plastic border piece on, and look what you're dealing with.

I'm no expert, but with it being an Xtreme trim, it might be a stock item. I googled around a bit, and found both types of clusters you are referring to.

Final Word: I'd take Christine's advice, look up the part numbers.
Worse comes to worse, you can buy it, and if it doesn't work out, take the white face panel out and swap it on yours. Or sell it / return it to your salvage yard.
My local salvage yard will only return mechanical and electronic items, so this would apply. Not so sure about yours.
Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

very good. Will do.

chevyriders 03-11-2018 10:17 AM

From what I've heard 98 is the odd year out that isn't compatible with 99+. 99+ are all supposed to be interchangeable, but your odometer reading won't be correct-which I'm pretty certain is against federal law, unless properly documented and disclosed to a purchaser if sold in the future.

If you're going from one without a tach to one with a tach, you may have to reprogram your ecu to enable the tach to function.

GreenBlazer2002 03-11-2018 12:24 PM

Just got back from the boneyard. I got the gauge cluster, plus the bottom skirts and fender flares. The rear bottom piecs were there but the drivers side was damaged. I think it could be popped back out with some hot water and a little correctly applied pressure. What do you think?https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/blazerf...32898a003e.jpg

Strangerock 03-11-2018 12:29 PM

I think it is worth a shot , heat does wonderful things to plastic.

GreenBlazer2002 03-11-2018 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Strangerock (Post 687710)
I think it is worth a shot , heat does wonderful things to plastic.

I think I'll go back for it Friday. I doubt anyone gets it since I already removed the other pieces. https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/blazerf...a2b4bbf193.jpg

christine_208 03-11-2018 07:03 PM

Cool looking gauge cluster! I would think that if it is the same year as your Blazer an the instruments are the same, then this could be plug and play. You'll definitely will have to deal with the odometer being off. Be sure to record what the old one was and the new one is on the date you swapped them.

chevyriders 03-11-2018 07:44 PM

I'm with strangerock on the bumper end. Heat it up nice and most of it will pop out- it won't be perfect without bodywork, but heat and pressure will get the majority of it.