Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Interior Advice Needed - Complete Restore

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 01:14 AM
JeremyG is on a distinguished road
Default Interior Advice Needed - Complete Restore

Alright, the 84 K5 is almost stripped down inside, and we're completely restoring it.

I have 2 good front seats that are surprisingly comfortable. I have a back bench seat that other than being dirty looks like it's never been sat on.

I also have a quote to re-upholster the 3 pieces for $750. This is with totally custom, 2-tone cloth (probably would do black outer panels with a grey interior panel of really nice breathable fabric). They will replace/restore the padding and add 1/2" of padding... fully hand-stitched in any color stitching. I've seen the work and it's show-quality.

That, however, seems very expensive when my goal is to only have $3000 into the restore including paint (already being done by a friend for $1200).

So what are my other options?

I saw a thread on another K5 forum that said LEATHER seats from a 1992 (Tahoe?) are near-bolt-in replacements (same height, slight boring out of 2 mounting holes to get them to mount correctly), and the seats are "power" with IIRC 3 or 4-way adjustments.

But that still leaves the back bench, AND truthfully, good luck finding CLEAN, UNDAMAGED seats from a 1992 vehicle (I certainly don't want to double-cost, buy "new" seats then pay to have them re-done).

I'm looking for input here... $750 seems a bit steep and for that money I could probably find other bolt-in solutions?!!?

Help! What are my options?

Old 06-30-2010, 08:52 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

How bad are the current covers? Instead of going custom how about looking for a set of OEM replacement? You may get lucky, then just get the shop to restore the foam and put the new covers on.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:11 AM
Beginning Member
rxm6 is on a distinguished road

I agree with oktain. Anytime you do "custom" work, the price is going to be a bit of a shocker just because it's one-off work. If you restore to OE, the price won't be as high and you'll still have a very nice interior.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:21 PM

I didn't even know I could get OEM covers? Any links?

The current covers are destroyed and the bottom cushions on the 2 front seats do need to be redone but that's not hard to do at all, I could do that on my own - but I can't sew so the covers would have to be zip-on or something.

I found aftermarket covers, would be about $500 for the front/back seats... that's only $250 cheaper than the custom, and at that point, for $250 extra I would rather have the custom ones...

Old 06-30-2010, 07:53 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road
Old 07-02-2010, 01:56 AM

Cool, thanks for the links. I'm still VERY torn on this... the son wants a bright metallic silver paintjob with a hint of blue and wants all the "trim" type highlight pieces to be blue (the roll bar, various dash parts, etc.).

The custom re-upholster will do it 2-tone with any 2 colors for the outside/inside panels.

This is a tough one!

Old 07-02-2010, 11:16 AM
Beginning Member
rxm6 is on a distinguished road

Methinks the son needs a job.

Old 07-03-2010, 12:37 AM

LOL yeah... he's paying for half and when it's sold I get the original purchase price back.

Wanna know something crazy? In August he'll start his first job... get this... as a lifeguard at Mandalay Bay (that's pretty much THE premiere pool in Vegas). Jealous.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:17 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Hes not going to care what color the truck is when all hes going to be seeing is PINK

Old 07-03-2010, 12:41 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

lol, so true. Man your son is lucky wish my parents would pay for something like that :P

Quick Reply: Interior Advice Needed - Complete Restore