Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Paint, Body, & Interior (https://blazerforum.com/forum/paint-body-interior-39/)
-   -   Mod Brainstorming: Interior Cargo Utility Lights (https://blazerforum.com/forum/paint-body-interior-39/mod-brainstorming-interior-cargo-utility-lights-96978/)

jaatecart 05-26-2018 10:22 PM

Mod Brainstorming: Interior Cargo Utility Lights

Hi all,

Bit of brainstorming here I'd like some input on, don't seem to find any similar threads to date.

Basically, I'm interested in adding some utility lighting to the cargo area in my 01 4 door blazer. I find myself using the back of my truck as a mobile workshop frequently, and at night the little courtesy light just doesn't cut it. Here's what I'm thinking:

1) The lights need to not obstruct cargo space, nothing too bulky
2) Should be separately switched, don't want bright lights coming on every time I open the hatch
3) General flood lighting covering the whole cargo area, or positionable light would be acceptable.

So far, I was thinking about putting some LED strip lights on the moulding around the left and right rear windows. These could be potentially powered from the existing rear courtesy light (would need to check on current draw before I officially suggest that), and many kits are dimmable/remote controlled which could also be convenient. With these I'd also probably just add a small switch somewhere on the inside plastic trim, use it to hide wiring, etc. Has anyone tried something like this, any products to suggest or problems I'm not anticipating? Thanks in advance!

N. Jensen 05-27-2018 11:29 PM

I installed white LEDs in my entire interior... Really lights up the whole truck at night. I can post pics tomorrow... You'd be surprised how bright it is.
Anywho, the plastic molding on either side could house more lighting. You could wire it up to a rocker switch (up front or in the back), connect a relay, fuse, and find the nearest ground....it would be like installing fog lights but on the inside.

Or just put a few of those battery powered touch lamps back there..? ��

jaatecart 05-28-2018 08:43 AM

I'm glad to hear the strip lights are bright enough! I have quite a bit laying around, I installed some as under-cabinet lighting a while back and it's great stuff to work with!

I was considering battery-powered lights, but any I've seen are fairly bulky, and the Florida heat kills batteries like nobody's business. Any ideas about where to pull power from in the back? As I said I imagine pulling power in parallel to the rear courtesy light would be my best bet for a few feet of LEDs, but there could be something I'm not thinking of.

Bepjer28 08-05-2018 05:34 PM

I have some led strips I'm mounting to the sides... I drilled a hole in the plastic to run the wire... The problem i have is the beam going across the top... It has a bunch of holes in it but they are all used by the molding and cargo light... I guess I'm going to have to drill into that but I'm afraid I'll hit the wires...