Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Paint, Body, & Interior (https://blazerforum.com/forum/paint-body-interior-39/)
-   -   Need some painting advice! (https://blazerforum.com/forum/paint-body-interior-39/need-some-painting-advice-99638/)

Matt Evan Cinquini 05-27-2019 06:46 PM

Need some painting advice!

I just painted my lower part of the door, sanded it down and sprayed it with a spray can and didn’t apply clear coat yet because there is orange peel in some places and a little bit of paint run. Should I just wet sand with 2000 grit sandpaper to smooth it out and if need be apply more paint and then apply clear coat? Or should I apply clear coat to the orange peeled paint and then wet sand it afterwards? I want to make this thing look as smooth as possible!!

odat 05-27-2019 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Matt Evan Cinquini (Post 709305)
I just painted my lower part of the door, sanded it down and sprayed it with a spray can and didn’t apply clear coat yet because there is orange peel in some places and a little bit of paint run. Should I just wet sand with 2000 grit sandpaper to smooth it out and if need be apply more paint and then apply clear coat? Or should I apply clear coat to the orange peeled paint and then wet sand it afterwards? I want to make this thing look as smooth as possible!!

Before - reapply as needed - clear coat and if needed lightly wet sand again - Finer grit the better - Rattle can is only going to do so well - Dupli-color holds up well as it has more solids in the paint ....

Matt Evan Cinquini 05-27-2019 10:58 PM

Before - reapply as needed - clear coat and if needed lightly wet sand again - Finer grit the better - Rattle can is only going to do so well - Dupli-color holds up well as it has more solids in the paint ......

so just spray the clear coat over the current paint now? And I did use Dupli-color. I just suck at spray paint lol I have dupli-color clear coat as well. Should I wash the dried new paint before applying clear coat?

odat 05-27-2019 11:12 PM

so just spray the clear coat over the current paint now? And I did use Dupli-color. I just suck at spray paint lol I have dupli-color clear coat as well. Should I wash the dried new paint before applying clear coat?[/QUOTE]

No you miss understood me - Sorry -
Before you recoat or clear coat the area Sand the imperfections out.
Sand, tac rag, recoat, let cure, sand, tac rag, clear coat - sand if second coating or if needed, tac rag if recoating , let properly cure - wax - I perfer Mothers Wax ....

Matt Evan Cinquini 05-28-2019 01:09 AM

No you miss understood me - Sorry -
Before you recoat or clear coat the area Sand the imperfections out.
Sand, tac rag, recoat, let cure, sand, tac rag, clear coat - sand if second coating or if needed, tac rag if recoating , let properly cure - wax - I perfer Mothers
Wax ....

Oh you’re fine haha I’m still new to painting. The broken down process makes more sense. Now what grit should I use for sanding it down?

odat 05-28-2019 12:17 PM

At least 200 the finer grit the better esp on finish work .....