Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Paint, Body, & Interior (https://blazerforum.com/forum/paint-body-interior-39/)
-   -   Not as smart as I thought I was - Roof Rack (https://blazerforum.com/forum/paint-body-interior-39/not-smart-i-thought-i-roof-rack-94524/)

Captain Kirk 04-23-2017 12:55 AM

Not as smart as I thought I was - Roof Rack

98 Blazer 4 dr 4x4.

Picked up a stock/factory roof rack at my local salvage yard off another 98 for $10. Took me less than 10 minutes to pull it and I thought to myself that I can make this work...I was wrong, my Blazer never had a rack so there are no anchor points in the roof which I knew that there wouldnt be but thought that it cant be that hard to come up with something/someway to mount it. I dont want to just use sheet metal screws and I couldnt find any other fastener that I felt confident in using... looked at rubber drop ins that swell when tightened but worried they would be "cut" overtime by the metal hole edges. Thougth about a form of "butterfly" type fastener but never found anything useable. So now I'll get to it...Is there a way you know of to make this work? What I thought would be simple to adapt/use has me stumped. Help Please!

blazen_red_4x4 04-24-2017 10:59 AM

I have honestly never seen a Blazer WITHOUT a factory roof luggage rack :/ I've always thought it was standard equipment...

Have any photos?

Captain Kirk 04-24-2017 10:55 PM

Thats funny...its up on jackstands as I am in the process of installing my rebuilt 4.3; along with replacing rear shackles; a body lift kit and undercoating the frame. And various other things here and there. I have many pix of what I have been doing but none of the truck prior to putting it in the air. I will gladly take a pic and post it if you like. Like i said tho; rite now no front clip; no hood; no wheels/tires inside my garage.

richphotos 04-27-2017 06:00 PM

I have NEVER seen a blazer without a roof rack unless the owner removed it.

Captain Kirk 04-27-2017 06:14 PM

I got up on the rear bumper to double check and make sure that there were no factory mounting points and there are not any....the blazer I took it off of also had black runners on the ridges and mine also has none of that. I had to seal off the roof of the garage with some thick vinyl to cut down on drafts this winter and was all over the roof of the blazer with a staple gun...there never was anything attached to this roof. I have the hood and a few other parts up there...i'll move em and snap a pic...post it up in about 30 mins or so.

Captain Kirk 04-27-2017 09:09 PM

uploads -- no roof rack

4 Attachment(s)
took me a bit longer than 30....she is dirty...been in garage up on jackstands for 4 months....close now....not much more to do b4 she is running.
(front bumper on roof ass end)

One of the pix is upside down... no clue how that happened....it wasnt that way when i previewed post???

Captain Kirk 04-27-2017 09:10 PM

I hope you guys arent messing with me...

blazen_red_4x4 04-28-2017 07:19 AM

Well I'll be damned

No I'm not messing with you lmao I seriously have NEVER seen one without factory roof rails. I've worked in the auto salvage business for 6+ years now and have seen a LOT of Blazers/Jimmy's/Bravada's, and even he base models have always had them.

Captain Kirk 04-29-2017 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by blazen_red_4x4 (Post 676115)
Well I'll be damned

No I'm not messing with you lmao I seriously have NEVER seen one without factory roof rails. I've worked in the auto salvage business for 6+ years now and have seen a LOT of Blazers/Jimmy's/Bravada's, and even he base models have always had them.

I wish mine had had them, it woulda made my life alot easier. Still not sure of what to do.

puttster 04-30-2017 09:36 AM

I have a 02 blazer with no roof rack. Never had one. I want one, so is is sad to see how tough they are to install.