Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Painting my tire rack

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 10:19 PM
willjones is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Painting my tire rack

I need to paint my spare tire rack and the molding that goes around the back glass. The tire rack is starting to rust and the molding just looks like crap. Does anyone know how to take the mold off and what paint should I use for both?

Old 12-30-2007, 11:27 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Painting my tire rack

I would use some rustoleum paint for the tire rack after sanding down the rust and priming it with the rustoleum primer. For the molding I am not sure but you could try some plasti-kote plastice paint, or just hit it up with the same rustoleum stuff, just rough up the plastic a little first and then prime it and then spray it with the other stuff, you could clear coat it too but that rustoleum stuff doesnt need it, as far as I know.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:21 PM
Starting Member
Sorell is an unknown quantity at this point

If you get around to doing this sometime here, let me know how it goes. I'll be doing mine before summer hits, but I think I'm just going to sandblast the whole tire rack to simplify it a little more.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:28 PM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point

I did mine 2 years ago on my first gen, I used marine grade paint on mine, the window does come out of the molding but becareful, it might break the glass or the molding, just take the back window off and mask the glass off itll be easier then doing it on the vehicle.

The paint I used was for waterfowl boats, its flat and is VERY durable and stands up to the elements without a problem, the rest of my truck is rusting out but the tire arm and the trim look brand new still.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:31 PM
Starting Member
Sorell is an unknown quantity at this point

Haha thats pretty awesome, good american vehicles. Did you actually remove the whole tire arm assembly when you did yours or just a hell of a lot of taping?