Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

97 ranchhand on a 98 need customization?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 11:33 PM
Beginning Member
suntzzu is on a distinguished road
Default 97 ranchhand on a 98 need customization?

I found someone on craigslist in my area thats parting out his 97 blazer and will sell the ranch hand guard on it for $70, but will it fit right up? When I look at thier website it doesnt seem to help and I know theres not many differences between a 97 and 98 but I do know of some front end changes.

the 97

the 98 (sorry crappy camera)

Old 02-21-2011, 05:34 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

Yes it will fit but there may or may not be a slight alignment problem with the lights.

I just bought a grill guard from a guy on craigslist as well and he had it on his 97 S10. It bolted right up to my 98. HOWEVER, since the 95-97 had narrower lights and the lights are centered (heightwise) in the grill, the thicker upper and lower bars are closer together than they would be on a guard meant for a 98+.

With 98+, the headlights are at the very top and depending on the width/distance of the bars, it may block the upper edge of the lights.

The one in your picture actually looks exactly like the one I just bought. You can see how mine has slightly interfered with the lights

Here is a comparison between the frames, the first pic is my 98 and the second pic is s14sh3r's 97. The holes, body mount, rad support mount and bumper mounts are all in the same locations

Old 02-22-2011, 12:07 AM
Beginning Member

Ah well thats ok, the headlights blow anyways (stock headlights) lol, im almost never driving the thing at night. Thank you for the awesome reply/pictures. Ill try to post when I have pictures of it up

Old 02-25-2011, 04:23 PM
Beginning Member

how does it mount up? Does it go below where the tow hooks are or what? I know im probably overthinking it but I am not sure how to go about it, and yeah yours is the exact kind

Old 02-25-2011, 05:19 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

Did it come with any brackets? Some of them mount to the bottom of the body mount, some of them mount on L shaped brackets directly below the towhooks. Mine had these brackets that bolted on to the side of the frame.

Yes I know those top washers are a little big haha.. it's all I had on hand.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:23 PM
Beginning Member

This one seems to mount differently, it seems like it sets under the part where the tow hooks mount, with the screws going through the bracket into the hooks that hold it? I dont know any other way it could go on, and that way holds it pretty well. Definately not something I trust to a few bolts. I am going to weld it when I get a chance.