Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

roll on bed liner as hood protection,half the truck coverage

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010 | 07:18 AM
|
Banned
MuddBunny84 is on a distinguished road
Default roll on bed liner as hood protection,half the truck coverage

well since taking off the bug deflector i've noticed...there are DOZENS of rock chip marks all across my hood...and i ran this idea past my bf..but he has a short fuse for my automotive questions...and doesn't answer them to my satisfaction..usually leaves me hanging...

what if i were to roll-on-bed-liner..my WHOLE hood...and down the doors follow the body line back to the rear wheel wells up and over and keeping it in unison with the curves but like 2 inches higher (not that i've seen and paint chips) finish off with a half done tailgate?.,...i asked would all that bed liner on the hood for ANY reason cause the engine compartment to over heat should i look into a coweled or a hood scoop to increase air flow?..

and would that not look goofy to bed liner THAT much of my truck...all he did was roll his eyes and go back to what he was doing..

i just can't justify either having the deflector back on for the rock issue...or keeping it off and having to worry about rock speckles..now that its kayaking season...we're out every weekend driving down A LOT of messy rocky roads and the last thing i want is a big bald spot cause i either didnt bed liner my hood or cause i could have avoided it but didnt...so in short...does the bed liner idea sound...do-able..and yes..i realize it would be flat black...he told me it would look stupid unless i got it painted glossy black..*rolls eyes*..any one else thought of this...the whole..half bed liner paint job idea and gone through with it?...i'm at a cross road here...

Last edited by MuddBunny84; 03-30-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-30-2010 | 09:04 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Most bed liners are not UV stable meaning that they will fad over time. I wouldn't go slathering the stuff around on your truck. It's one thing to put it where you may end up with scratches/dents from wheeling (down low), but... Just my opinion.

Old 03-30-2010 | 11:23 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

I agree with Kyle. I plan on doing 1/2 my truck in bed liner too, but only below the body line where it will be fully functional as a protector. I don't think the hood would look very good bedlined..

Old 03-30-2010 | 12:04 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

slap on a big hood decal so you don't see the scratches lol

Old 03-30-2010 | 10:42 PM
Beginning Member
devilman414 is on a distinguished road

hello i wouldnt put bedliner on hood just repaint and have a clear plastic protector wrap put on you cant tell its there from a few feet away when it gets mared up just remove and have a new one installed check with any aftermarket installer like zeibart or others thanks and good luck

Old 03-31-2010 | 06:45 AM
|
Banned

lol grrr i just want the easiest way out of having to have it repainted lol since i've got some serious paint chips..and money....isn't exactly flowing in my bank account..its more like....turning into a stagnent sest pool....or is there any thing else i could do except plastic wrap it like...spray on some thing to protect it, perhaps a smoother textured roll on liner that i could possibly have painted?..i just forsee this summer its going to get a sh't-ton of paint chips from hauling the boats down back dirt roads which i've noticed thats where i hear the most rock pings my tires throw them every where..needless to say..i leave a trail of destruction lol

and i kinda dont wanna have to put the deflector back on..*scratches head*....i'm confuzzled

Last edited by MuddBunny84; 03-31-2010 at 07:01 AM.
Old 03-31-2010 | 09:17 AM
huntersblaze is on a distinguished road

I know this isn't exactly what you described but I remembered seeing a blazer with line-x on the hood so I thought I'd share it. You could try some variation of this if you need more hood protection.

Old 03-31-2010 | 10:02 AM
|
Banned

thats pretty much what i want too just more of the hood done..i have paint chips almost 3/4 up the hood...and i thought even a light coating might be good?!

Old 03-31-2010 | 10:11 AM
Starting Member
Rogue is on a distinguished road

Huntersblaze pic actually looks pretty trick IMO. Sort of like a painted on bra.

For what you want to do MuddBunny, maybe if you color matched the coating to the body color it would look ok. Not sure it can be done. But you would still have the texture to deal with.

I guess color matching is offered. http://www.linexofarlingtontx.com/?p=108

Old 03-31-2010 | 10:39 AM
Beginning Member
bclhaezveyr is on a distinguished road

that is exactly what i want to do with 02 4 door minus the hood and leave the trim pieces off. i already blacked out the chrome badges and the look pretty good. i need to redo the chrome on the grill with black. i thought it would look kinda dumb but it was actually kinda cool. i will look to see if i have any pics of it.

Last edited by bclhaezveyr; 03-31-2010 at 10:45 AM.

Quick Reply: roll on bed liner as hood protection,half the truck coverage